Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Looks like the steelwork on the right of that first image is nearly at its final height (the lower of the two halves). Maybe one floor short?
Yep, that steel puts us a couple of metres shy of the lower "towers" top. The top of the southern steel will be the top-most floor for that tower too from the looks of the plan.

CIBC celebrates milestone as final phase of construction underway at CIBC SQUARE's 81 Bay Street
CIBC_CIBC_celebrates_milestone_as_final_phase_of_construction_un.jpg

TORONTO, Jan. 8, 2020 /CNW/ - Today, representatives from CIBC, EllisDon, Ivanhoé Cambridge and Hines raised a ceremonial last steel beam at 81 Bay Street. The event marks the final phase of construction for the first of two office buildings that will become CIBC SQUARE, a landmark commercial campus

Surely that wasn't the final piece of steel, there seems to be so much more needed to top this out and build the additional crown for the mech? What am I missing here, will the rest be a different material possibly?

Surely that wasn't the final piece of steel, there seems to be so much more needed to top this out and build the additional crown for the mech? What am I missing here, will the rest be a different material possibly?
That's the final steel for the last floor of the shorter of the two "towers". It's relatively insignificant considering the south tower also has a crown and the northern tower is taller still.

Ha ha. They probably had the date in the diary for the 'last beam', and weren't about to move it. They might be slightly behind where they wanted to be - which happens. Either that or it was just difficult to get everyone's Outlook appointments to line up, or didn't want the 'ceremonial beam' to be in the plantroom. I love too how the shot they chose to go with the Instagram announcement is angled so you can't actually see that there's about another 30m of steel or so to go to the top.

I just find it amusing, as they're making good progress anyway. Looks to me like they'll be topped out for real by the end of February though - if they're lucky with the weather.

Last edited:

Back