Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Towers 500m tall are not practical in Canada, we just don't have the population and it doesn't make financial sense to build that tall. The only place in North America that makes sense for them is New York City with the dense population and large companies demanding it.

Most supertall/megatall towers outside of NA are being built in cities with large populations in nations that are rapidly developing. Most of these are dictatorships and only care about appearances and filling demand. These large towers are also built as cheaply as possible, most likely with slave labour and lacking tons of safety standards that we enjoy over here.
Your points are well taken but you're talking to a wall. Fanboys don't care about dictatorships, slave labour, cheap builds and zero safety standards. Dangle Moscow, Dubai and Shenzhen in front of them and they foam at the mouth.

Today:
Falling ice from this building forced Bay Street to be closed at this intersection.

CIBC SQUARE 12:3 3.jpeg
CIBC SQUARE 12:3 1.jpeg
DSC_2424.jpeg
DSC_2370.jpeg

Falling ice doesn't bode well for the glass ceiling along Bay St. Hope they ordered extra pieces of glass.

Where was it falling from? Do you know? I mean the building’s cold until it’s occupied I guess so it could be from anywhere, or was it the crane for example?

Hmm, that's very concerning. I hope this doesn't become a long term problem for this tower. It's grooves and lines might make it conducive to this, although I am not a SME on this topic.

Am I the only one here who doesn't give a fig about 400+ m towers?

I'd take the two 200 m towers any-day. Spread that building footprint around.

Exactly, the spread of density can be a much larger improvement to the skyline in comparison to one incredibly tall tower.

There's nothing wrong with height, and height is always exciting, but it's crazy to talk about 400m+ when things are just now finally going over 300m. It was only a couple years ago that we got a 344m proposal with the former design of YSL, so we are definitely heading there, but slowly.

Your points are well taken but you're talking to a wall. Fanboys don't care about dictatorships, slave labour, cheap builds and zero safety standards. Dangle Moscow, Dubai and Shenzhen in front of them and they foam at the mouth.

I'm somehow reminded of this graphic whenever the supertall fanboy talk comes up.

1575520631217.png

Context: This was part of a campaign by United Way to raise awareness of poverty in the GTA. "Though the GTA appears to be a prosperous and thriving region, it is actually the poverty capital of Canada, with one in seven residents struggling enough financially to have to worry about a roof over their head. The building, dubbed the #unignorable tower, would need to have space for 116,317 individuals and families. It is physically impossible to build and would be the world's tallest structure — which proves the point of how massive our poverty and homelessness problem is."

^^^ "Screw poverty and homelessness! Give me that giga-tall! Dubai's getting one! They're so much more advanced than us! Wahhhhh!"

(I'm sure there are fanboys here who are salivating over that United Way pic.)

Hmm, that's very concerning. I hope this doesn't become a long term problem for this tower. It's grooves and lines might make it conducive to this, although I am not a SME on this topic.
Again though - what happens during construction won't be the same as in use. Hence my pondering about where it was falling from. There was a picture a few pages back with snow on the glass. That glazing is right now sat with cold on both sides, I would imagine that it would be less likely for snow to stick to glass if it was even a degree above freezing, which it probably will be when it's a nice warm office on the other side. Then there's the bit at the top that's not even clad yet, and the crane arms etc. Plenty of bits of steel etc for snow and ice to build up on then fall from.

I'm not sure what you can realistically do about it during construction. It does make me think they may have been a bit keen putting the glass on the canopy with so much still going on up top.

I'm somehow reminded of this graphic whenever the supertall fanboy talk comes up.

View attachment 218536

Context: This was part of a campaign by United Way to raise awareness of poverty in the GTA. "Though the GTA appears to be a prosperous and thriving region, it is actually the poverty capital of Canada, with one in seven residents struggling enough financially to have to worry about a roof over their head. The building, dubbed the #unignorable tower, would need to have space for 116,317 individuals and families. It is physically impossible to build and would be the world's tallest structure — which proves the point of how massive our poverty and homelessness problem is."
You know this would be beyond shadowing issues for the entire city.. lol cool but also a boring design

Where was it falling from? Do you know? I mean the building’s cold until it’s occupied I guess so it could be from anywhere, or was it the crane for example?

It’s hard to say exactly, but several sheets of ice were falling directly onto Bay Street, in addition to reports elsewhere of pieces falling onto the Gardiner.

Back