Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
thanks for the pics everyone.
This application proposes to remove the Holding symbol (h) from Block 1a of the lands bounded by Bay Street, Yonge Street, 1 Front Street West and the Rail Corridor (municipally known in 2018 as 141 Bay Street and the portion of lands designated for Transportation uses between Bay and Yonge Streets) to permit the development of a 53-storey office tower with a 7-storey podium.
did they change the height again? or skipped some floors again?

thanks for the pics everyone.

did they change the height again? or skipped some floors again?

The city description has been 53-storey 243 meters since the final report in 2016.

The elevation diagrams shows 56 floors (including plant floors), so I assume the city description is occupied floors.

Last edited:
Core appears to be three floors from topping out (two setbacks - one for the south portion and the final for the north). Also in Logan's post the top of the right crane would more or less be the architectural top of the structure.
CIBC Square September 10.jpg

Timeline.jpg

Last edited:

Some people here were complaining about the lack of height on this project, but from this perspective you can really get a sense of how much more substantial its impact on the skyline will be once all of the floors expanded to their full width. And we get two of these beauties. I too would like some additional height, but these will be magnificent nevertheless.

My major hope for this project at this point is that the exterior lights will be big, bold and bright. At least bright enough to make a substantial impact on the skyline from a distance (eg, the Islands). Nothing subdued enough to be drowned out in the sea of other skyline lights. Take inspiration from the Bank of China tower in Hong Kong:

171218205542-03-bank-of-china-tower---restricted-super-tease.jpg

Hopefully the lighting is as prominent as the renders (and the renders definitely undersold this project, so I'm hopeful).

urbantoronto-5750-38437.jpeg

And hats off to @Contra again for those wonderful diagrams.

Last edited:
It's going to have to be very prominent to even see it well up close since it will be competing with the interior lighting that will surely be left on all night like other office towers

They might have some trickery with the geometry of the spotlights and window reflectivity to make it more prominent than it otherwise would be.

Do we have any examples of this type of lighting in use anywhere?

Actually taking a closer look at the photos, we can see protruding slats in a diamond pattern on the building of exterior. I assume that they’ll be installing lighting inside of those slats. If that’s the case, the prominence of the lights should not be an issue, unless the developer wants to keep the brightness down for whatever reason.

I was previously under the impression that the lighting was generated by spotlights along the side of the building shining on the diamond extrusions. If that’s the case, then brightness might be an issue

Actually taking a closer look at the photos, we can see protruding slats in a diamond pattern on the building of exterior. I assume that they’ll be installing lighting inside of those slats. If that’s the case, the prominence of the lights should not be an issue, unless the developer wants to keep the brightness down for whatever reason.

I was previously under the impression that the lighting was generated by spotlights along the side of the building shining on the diamond extrusions. If that’s the case, then brightness might be an issue

In previous photos in the thread they have shown the lighting that will be used on the exterior which are spot lighting that is attached to the curtain wall system in the diamond pattern.

Back