Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
A view from the office window today.

Besides being top shelf this building will have the added benefit of lifting minimum standards. Pleading for great architecture + high quality usually doesn't work if people don't know what that looks like. Seeing it in person is often the only way to open people's eyes.

Besides being top shelf this building will have the added benefit of lifting minimum standards. Pleading for great architecture + high quality usually doesn't work if people don't know what that looks like. Seeing it in person is often the only way to open people's eyes.
We have top shelf, yet this hasn't changed anything.

While we should always aim for greatness and learn from others, Toronto is one of the world's leading cities. Our minimum standards are already "lifted." There's lots of great architecture + high quality here and people know what it looks like. Their eyes are open and they see it in person. Kind of presumptuous to argue otherwise.

Last edited:
Thank you for those pics Skycandy. And, SPEAKING of glass, I brought this up on this thread a few weeks ago and finally saw it yesterday.
On Tuesday, Aug 20 at 6:30am I flipped over to Kiddie TV (CP24 Breakfast) for the weather and the traffic cam in the lower right screen box showed the view pointing West from the Gardiner and those cars coming in from the East were facing a FIREBALL of a rising sun off this brilliant glass. Given the current height of the glass it probably didn't last too long, but I can only imagine a clear day in summer or winter when completed - and the 'new' distraction for drivers coming along the Gardiner from East in the morning and driving in from the West during sunset. Yowza.
Good catch! One other downside I realized about the tower was that it will soon block out one's view of the CN tower when driving westbound on the Eastern portion of the Gardiner when coming from the DVP. A small concession for such a lovely tower, but still a downside.

Man this project already has so many different looks... the facets reflecting neighbours (green condos never looked better), or sun glare silver or the actual deep blue curtain wall... great pics with thousands more to come ;-)

Drove by it in the Gardiner during golden hour yesterday and had to remark about it outloud with glee to myself in the car. I can't imagine this not happening anytime soon, if ever. This will absolutely be my new favourite building in the city. And to think it's not even half clad and already turning our heads this much.

Cloudy Friday

Westside UP: They are pumping concrete today; you can just see the top of the blue concrete pump sticking up; so a jump should come early next week

Westside DOWN

Eastside General

Closer look at new steel framework beginning level#5 and level#6

Last forming going into the southern elevator and stair tower servicing this lowrise building. Corrugated metal decking is progressively moving towards completion of level#4 floor. The gaps show the locations of air intake and exhausts

A SPECIAL BONUS - Scotiabank steel working being beefed up to support the bridge from CIBC to SBA. My gut feeling is that this bridge will be installed and functional before they open the GO Bus Terminal coming later this year. BTW last Saturday I noticed 2 escalators were being craned into the second level of the bus depot and some glass wall frames are in place that will separate the passenger waiting area from the operating bus area

Last edited:
Cloudy Friday

Westside UP: They are pumping concrete today; you can just see the top of the blue concrete pump sticking up; so a jump should come early next week

View attachment 200419

Westside DOWN

View attachment 200420

Eastside General

View attachment 200421

Closer look at new steel framework beginning level#5 and level#6

View attachment 200422

Last forming going into the southern elevator and stair tower servicing this lowrise building. Corrugated metal decking is progressively moving towards completion of level#4 floor. The gaps show the locations of air intake and exhausts

View attachment 200424

A SPECIAL BONUS - Scotiabank steel working being beefed up to support the bridge from CIBC to SBA. My gut feeling is that this bridge will be installed and functional before they open the GO Bus Terminal coming later this year. BTW last Saturday I noticed 2 escalators were being craned into the second level of the bus depot and some glass wall frames are in place that will separate the passenger waiting area from the operating bus area

View attachment 200425
A deceptively stubby looking @Michael62 stitch:
Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

Construction Update & Notice

Dear neighbours,

Below is a brief update and notice on the CIBC SQUARE project:

Construction at 81 Bay Street:

Construction continues to progress at 81 Bay Street, as crews raise structural steel and pour concrete for the tower core walls, floors and floor slabs. As of this week, the concrete core walls have reached level 48, concrete lobby slabs are being poured on level 41, and structural steel installation has been completed to level 33 and has begun to level 36 on the southwest corner of the building. The curtainwall is up to level 18 and the north crash wall is now complete.

Notice: Bay Street Closures – Pedestrian Bridge Installation

Installation of a new pedestrian bridge over Bay Street will start on August 31st, connecting CIBC SQUARE to the northeast corner of the ScotiaBank Arena. This work will include steel construction, generating noise similar to that of the overbuild park. To minimize impacts on traffic and maintain safety and security during this construction, work on the pedestrian bridge will take place over two weekends and Bay Street will be fully closed to all traffic and pedestrians between Lake Shore Blvd. W. and Front St. W. during each key construction period:

• Closure #1: 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, August 31st until 5 a.m. on Monday, September 2nd
  • Closure #2: 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, September 14th until 5 a.m. Monday, September 16th

During these closures, pedestrians may access Union Station GO Bus Terminal, the Union Station Bay East and West Teamways, Scotiabank Arena Gate 1, and Bremner Blvd. from Front St. only.

Rail Corridor Overbuild Park

The sixth phase of structural steel erection is complete in the overbuild park. Crews are now installing the metal deck at the park level, with phases 4 and 5 completed, and phase 6 now underway. For safety reasons, all work in the overbuild park continues to take place overnight as workers are not permitted to be in the rail corridor during the day or evening when tracks are being used by trains. Your patience during this phase of work is very much appreciated.

When are we working?

The following working hours are expected at CIBC SQUARE:

Hours of Work:

5AM - 7AM Monday to Friday: Deliveries at 81 Bay Street, as per approved noise by-law exemption permit
7AM - 7PM Monday to Friday: Regular working hours at 81 Bay Street
7PM - 10PM Monday to Friday: Installation of steel reinforcement rebar at 81 Bay Street and the Podium at 81 Bay Street, as per approved noise by-law exemption permit
10PM - 5AM Monday - Saturday: Overnight work in the rail corridor for the park overbuild, as per approved noise by-law exemption
9AM - 7PM Saturday: Regular working hours at 81 Bay Street
12:01 a.m. Saturday, August 31st to 5 a.m. Monday, September 2nd: Pedestrian bridge installation
12:01 a.m. Saturday, September 14th to 5 a.m. Monday, September 16th: Pedestrian bridge installation

We thank you in advance for your patience during this phase of construction. For any questions or comments, please email us at community@CIBCSQUARE.com.

Back