Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
June 11:
0S6A0494.JPG
0S6A0498.JPG
0S6A0499.JPG
0S6A0501.JPG

I wonder if other glas colors are suggested and then shot down "Gold? Ewww. no. If it's not blue or green we're not building it!". I just don't understand this city'd obssession with blue glass.

I wonder if other glas colors are suggested and then shot down "Gold? Ewww. no. If it's not blue or green we're not building it!". I just don't understand this city'd obssession with blue glass.

I'm no expert but maybe it's the cheapest. This city sure like doing cheap.

We have a Gold glass tower in the core (Royal Bank) and it's not standing out due to lack of height. We hardly even talk about it on UT.
This project would certainly get lost if it was gold glass due to height and location between future taller towers.
That said, this blue glass is better than the normal Grey and Green nonsense we are sick of. I like it, looks very promising

My guess on the blues and greens is that those are your traditional ... hard to go wrong with ... classic colors. That said, you can have too much of a good thing to be sure, and Toronto has been going full tilt on those base colors for a while now. On the positive side ... once somebody does build something with strong accents such as red, it'll look amazing as a contrast to the sea of blue, green and grey. Of course, somebody needs to build that tower, and I'm not sure there is anything on the drawing board right now.

I personally would have liked to see this tower in a shade of black or charcoal. I agree mixing it up would be nice. Green/Blue is all the norm these days, and they just all blend into one another. Regardless, the diamond pattern here is really cool especially once they light it up. Once finished, I think it will be a stunner.

Mini lesson on glass :)

Colour of glass comes from the properties of the glass itself and the environmental coating applied to it. Cheap glass is green (look at all the condos around here) even without coating unless you strip the iron content from the glass, at which point you can get it completely clear. If you don't want to cook the people inside, or have the aircon running full strength, you need to either put solid in, or apply an sun protection coating.

The best coatings are neutral in colour or nearly so in my opinion, but the more you need to get out of the environmental performance, the harder it is to use these on an all glass building. You can increase the reflectivity to reduce the amount of tint. You can use a double skin to really beautiful effect, but this is really expensive as you pay for another system and at the loss of rentable space. Only really see this on a large scale in very high rent cities. You can make the glass thin to have less tint, but then the glass goes wobbly.

This isn't green, so it isn't cheap. It looks very reflective which I guess is deliberate with the diamond shapes. I guess the blue was either a choice, and not a terrible one IMHO, or there was a limit to the money even on this beauty.

Basically, always be suspicious of renders that show silvery glass towers.

Last edited:
Coming to TEYCC in a week or so:

TE7.70
ACTION​
Delegated​
Ward: 10​
Pedestrian Bridge Connecting 45 Bay Street to the Air Canada Centre - 50 Bay Street - 81 Bay Street
Origin
(May 30, 2019) Report from the Manager, Permits and Enforcement, Transportation Services, Toronto and East York District​
Recommendations
The Manager, Permits and Enforcement, Transportation Services, recommends that Toronto and East York Community Council:

1. Authorize the City to enter into an encroachment agreement (the "Agreement") with the owners of 81 Bay Street permitting the pedestrian bridge (the "Encroachment") on the terms and conditions set out below, and on any other or amended terms and conditions satisfactory to the General Manager of Transportation Services (the "GM"), and in a form satisfactory to the City Solicitor:
See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2019.TE7.70

Mini lesson on glass :)

Colour of glass comes from the properties of the glass itself and the environmental coating applied to it. Cheap glass is green (look at all the condos around here) even without coating unless you strip the iron content from the glass, at which point you can get it completely clear. If you don't want to cook the people inside, or have the aircon running full strength, you need to either put solid in, or apply an sun protection coating.

The best coatings are neutral in colour or nearly so in my opinion, but the more you need to get out of the environmental performance, the harder it is to use these on an all glass building. You can increase the reflectivity to reduce the amount of tint. You can use a double skin to really beautiful effect, but this is really expensive as you pay for another system and at the loss of rentable space. Only really see this on a large scale in very high rent cities. You can make the glass thin to have less tint, but then the glass goes wobbly.

This isn't green, so it isn't cheap. It looks very reflective which I guess is deliberate with the diamond shapes. I guess the blue was either a choice, and not a terrible one IMHO, or there was a limit to the money even on this beauty.

Basically, always be suspicious of renders that show silvery glass towers.

This post embodies the best of UT, someone sharing their expertise w/the group to make us all a bit more knowledgeable!

Back