Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
I can't believe that small space is big enough for all the GO buses and the Greyhound buses too.
The new terminal will have 7 bays on each of two floors (plus 3 staging spots on each of the floors as well). With 14 places to load buses in, they are doubling the number currently available across the tracks, so they'll be able to also bring Greyhound down from the Coach Terminal at Bay and Edward. To be that much closer to both the Gardiner and the subway and trains will make for a far better connected system.

The new terminal will have 7 bays on each of two floors (plus 3 staging spots on each of the floors as well). With 14 places to load buses in, they are doubling the number currently available across the tracks, so they'll be able to also bring Greyhound down from the Coach Terminal at Bay and Edward. To be that much closer to both the Gardiner and the subway and trains will make for a far better connected system.

But it is not just the number of bays. I hope they have a more efficient solution to funnel riders onto buses because in the current GO bus station lineups can be huge and end up intermixing and people not knowing where to lineup, especially when there are multiple delays or train cancellations.

But it is not just the number of bays. I hope they have a more efficient solution to funnel riders onto buses because in the current GO bus station lineups can be huge and end up intermixing and people not knowing where to lineup, especially when there are multiple delays or train cancellations.
Ehhh, you're probably still screwed on those days: there's only so much room, and extraordinary circumstances will rarely be handled without some confusion.

they'll be able to also bring Greyhound down from the Coach Terminal at Bay and Edward. To be that much closer to both the Gardiner and the subway and trains will make for a far better connected system.

Be nice to see all those buses gone from the Bay/Dundas area?

The amount of GO buses required is trending downwards anyway with the amount of new GO train service being introduced. this will end up mostly as a coach terminal with the odd GO bus in a few years.

I think it was an L Tower crane joke. In 2019. ?

I can’t get used to seeing L Tower without a crane. I’m glad it’s finally gone. The building looks quite attractive now. Too bad about the “public square” at the base though. Hopefully when the Sony centre becomes Meridian Hall, they’ll open those west facing doors as a cafe/restaurant and turn the square into a patio. CIBC Square and its pedestrian alley behind the CRA heritage building will transform that weird deadzone between Union and the Esplanade.

Atleast it will be indoors. Standing in the freezing cold for over 10 minutes hoping to get a spot on the Bus is not a pleasant experience.

With Greyhound relocating, it should usher in a massive redevelopment for the Toronto Coach Terminal, the Bus Bays and the adjoining parking lots. Lots of Prime real-estate waiting to be re-developed.
no official word on whether Coach Canada (and Megabus) will also be relocating here, so hold your horses

March 7 - off to Pakistan and Turkey for some R&R, will be back last week of March. Hoping for some better weather and maybe some glass panels on my return. :)

Question - Does anybody know what sort of Ventilation/HVAC system the new bus depot will have? Even the biodiesel buses stink in open-air bus bays such as Eglinton TTC, never mind the full diesel Greyhound retreads from Mexico at the bus terminal.

What a choking stench!

Question - Does anybody know what sort of Ventilation/HVAC system the new bus depot will have? Even the biodiesel buses stink in open-air bus bays such as Eglinton TTC, never mind the full diesel Greyhound retreads from Mexico at the bus terminal.

What a choking stench!
I don't know anything about the system, but I can tell you that pretty the vast majority of the third floor space over the bus terminal is given over to mechanical FVAC space. Air intake grills at at the fourth level are mostly placed up against 18 Yonge, will exhaust grills will be located in the southwest and northeast corners of the podium.

Back