Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
I may of missed a post or two, but has anyone else connected the diamonds on the buildings to the diamond in their new logo.
Also CIBC is using the new logo in their commercials now.

I may of missed a post or two, but has anyone else connected the diamonds on the buildings to the diamond in their new logo.

Yes, both the new logo and the diamond pattern on the building seem to be a nod to CIBC's old corporate logos from the 1960s, 70s, and 80s.

Last edited:
... and it is being put up on physical branches all over the country, replacing the old logo.

I'd go so far as to wager that CIBC has had their hand in the design of the building for quite some time, working collaboratively with Hines at a confidential level before any lease agreement was ever announced. These types of rebrands at this scale of retail and presence are typically in the works for half a decade, which would coincide with when Hines gave us their renders in 2017. Brand studies were likely conducted by CIBC prior to that and they settled on the diamond themes years ago, and then refined the design to what we have today, the big rebrand reveal.

The diamonds were built into the design from the start, and this was no coincidence. The marketing executive team at CIBC deserve a huge pat on the back for pulling that off.

Couple moody pics from last night 🌧️

IMG_E0739.JPG

IMG_E0756.JPG

IMG_E0760.JPG

IMG_E0754.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

I do quite like the new logo, even though it resembles Renault, and could possibly be misread as CBC at a glance, but that particular signage installation on 2 Bloor West looks too small for that building.

As for the diamond theme matching the new building, both actually reference back to the excellent 1960s logo, in which the "eagle's wings" form the shape of a diamond.
Canadian-Imperial-Bank-of-Commerce-Logo-1966-1986-700x394.png

Image source

Not CIBC square but there’s no thread for the 2 Bloor West office tower. I didn’t even notice they changed this logo .
I just came here to post this too! Walked by this evening and noticed it on the ground level, and then looked up and saw it on the tower as well.

I personally like the idea of office buildings bearing logos of some of Canadas biggest and most prominent firms. All major banks in Canada in the last decade or so have built another office tower besides their older one that still has their logo on it today Brookfield place for TD and the new 160 front building. RBC centre and RBC waterpark Place, Both new CIBC Square buildings for CIBC, Scotia Plaza and the new Bay Adelaide North tower for Scotia Bank. really the only bank out of the big 5 to yet build a new building second to their older one is BMO. I hope one day they build a new building and consolidate operations from around the GTA. I wish Canadas top insurance companies would also build major buildings downtown with a logo on it like Sunlife did. I also think of Canadas telecom companies having nice new buildings with there logo similar to Telus on Bremner Blvd . I am curious as to what others on here think. Oh Btw this is my first post on here but I have been following UrbanToronto for at least a decade so I am happy to be more engaged now.

Back