Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Glad u found my photo ;) this view will fill in nicely when phase 2 completes

Where is that lighting display intended to be installed?
Mr. kotsy appears to have the dibs on that a page back when he said...
Very cool lighting feature is being installed on the bridge to SBA!! The guy doing the install told me the web design will eventually stretch the entire bridge.

Since ya got me looking, I also looked at the street level landscape plan.

Holy @#$#.............they spec'ed a 45 Foot Tall White Pine for the corner of Bay + Lake Shore.

That will be a crane job w/o a doubt. That's not so far off the height of the Gardiner itself there. In so far as they spec'ed 15M+ It's possible you'll see this tree from the Gardiner upon installation.

Expensive, and high-risk planting! (high risk because even in ideal planting conditions transplanting a tree that size often doesn't go well., and the replacement cost/effort.......yikes)

Street Level plant list below:

View attachment 297060
I think it's silly that they don't plant more evergreens. the place will look depressing as heck in the winter. That said, White Pines are my all-time favourite trees (can you tell? lol), but they don't get quite as tall when one tree is planted alone, so hopefully they're smart about it. Getting excited about White Pines is a possible side effect of growing up in Deep River. :p

I think it's silly that they don't plant more evergreens. the place will look depressing as heck in the winter. That said, White Pines are my all-time favourite trees (can you tell? lol), but they don't get quite as tall when one tree is planted alone, so hopefully they're smart about it. Getting excited about White Pines is a possible side effect of growing up in Deep River. :p

I love White Pines too; but they aren't particularly pollution tolerant, and quite dislike road salt; they also require full sun.

So they shouldn't be planted just anywhere.

I would like to see more groves of pine/conifers in parks.

While they can be used as street trees; they require particular conditions that would not lend them to every streetscape.

Updated permit applied for:

1612562938358.png

I love White Pines too; but they aren't particularly pollution tolerant, and quite dislike road salt; they also require full sun.

So they shouldn't be planted just anywhere.

I would like to see more groves of pine/conifers in parks.

While they can be used as street trees; they require particular conditions that would not lend them to every streetscape.

They get big too. They might have to take that into account when designing the structure.

They get big too. They might have to take that into account when designing the structure.

The minimum spec. from the City is 30m3 of soil volume per tree; though in truth, the amount will vary based on tree species, desired height/lifespan, and planting conditions (how much sun/rate of evaporation).

In general, less soil volume, less tree health.

A large tree might benefit from 50m3 or more.

Obviously, beyond that, there is the question of the physical amount of room required; but assuming someone isn't foolishly planting trees under a roof................

That's less about height, than it is spread.

Last edited:

Back