Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
I wish we had more early 20th centruty buildings - it would look cheap to replicate them now. they could have built something like the empire state in the place of the royal york

I wish we had more early 20th centruty buildings - it would look cheap to replicate them now. they could have built something like the empire state in the place of the royal york

The railway hotels are among Canada's greatest architectural treasures. Wanting more early 20th century buildings but being OK doing away the Royal York is an... interesting perspective.

We had a mayor named Bert Wemp? He didn't leave much of an impression, unless somebody here attended Bert Wemp P.S. as a kid, or maybe there's an old ferry sitting at the bottom of the harbour with his name on it?

His job outside of politics would be one you could relate to..............

In most instances, I'm opposed to twinned towers, but in this case, I think the play on light via the faceted glass panels will be cool to observe from different angles. Although, the bulk of the buildings is not ideal.
Having them aligned at 90 degree angles will make them look a little less twin-towerish. The buildings will appear different in width from almost any angle.

The reality is that in the winter people will wait indoors until their bus has arrived, so that can happen in a smaller space (old GO bus terminal) or it can happen in a bigger space (new GO bus terminal). Not to mention that ultimately in both cases everyone ends up in an enclosed space (a bus) which makes all of this a moo point. 🐄
mmm not quite. I've taken the go bus many a time at the old station. A lot of the time I never had to enter the station building; I just waited outdoors at my bus platform, with wide open space and no one around me. When people did get close, it was indeed because they would be on the same bus.
Flash forward to the process with the new station: Now EVERYONE taking a go bus is funnelled into the same building. All the routes. The chances of getting close to (and breathing in their exhalations) people headed for other go buses than your own is amplified many fold.

Basically, in terms of potential contacts, the new way of hopping on a go bus is more risky in times of covid.

/discussion
no.

mmm not quite. I've taken the go bus many a time at the old station. A lot of the time I never had to enter the station building; I just waited outdoors at my bus platform, with wide open space and no one around me. When people did get close, it was indeed because they would be on the same bus.
Flash forward to the process with the new station: Now EVERYONE taking a go bus is funnelled into the same building. All the routes. The chances of getting close to (and breathing in their exhalations) people headed for other go buses than your own is amplified many fold.

Basically, in terms of potential contacts, the new way of hopping on a go bus is more risky in times of covid.

True, though to be fair no one envisioned COVID when the plans for this new terminal was made (and you can't really plan transit infrastructure with a century pandemic in mind); and WFH reduced ridership to a pretty low level - where the risk of posed an indoor only terminal is manageable.

AoD

The railway hotels are among Canada's greatest architectural treasures. Wanting more early 20th century buildings but being OK doing away the Royal York is an... interesting perspective.
I meant a taller version of the Royal York

Back