Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Thanks. So in other areas like several go projects and stations, most recently Kipling station. Any idea what common challenges elevators present? Is it the certification process ?
My understanding is that there is a shortage of elevator techs so it may be a problem with getting crews on site. Just guessing though.

Reactions: DSC
If you do not need to travel you should stay home. The new GO bus terminal will be there for a while.
Just replying to myself to 'confess' that (despite my comment above) I was in the new GO bus station yesterday. I was out walking (socially distanced and masked) with a chum and we walked past and peered in. It was remarkably empty so we went in, saw both levels and took the new bridge and escalators to the SBA. Looked good to us and, as noted by others, a bit airport-like.

Kind of surprised they went and opened the bus terminal in the midst of the pandemic... wouldn't it be safer to be waiting in open air than inside of a building? Metrolinx could have delayed the switch I'm sure. Perhaps costly, but you know what, better safe than sorry

Kind of surprised they went and opened the bus terminal in the midst of the pandemic... wouldn't it be safer to be waiting in open air than inside of a building? Metrolinx could have delayed the switch I'm sure. Perhaps costly, but you know what, better safe than sorry
It's open for people who need to use GO bus services.

...and besides, there is lot more standing area in the new station for those to keep safe distancing versus the old one. Two floors of it, in fact.

If someone could upload a decent photo of the new bus terminal to Wikimedia Commons/Flickr under a creative commons licence (i.e. no copyright) that would be great - trying to find a photo of the new bus terminal for the wikipedia article is proving to be a pain!

Metrolinx 100% could not have delayed the switch - they signed a deal with the developer that hands over the old bus terminal site in exchange for a 99 year lease on a bus terminal. I suspect the contract says something along the lines of "New bus terminal complete? Hand over the old bus terminal, thanks"

Thanks. So in other areas like several go projects and stations, most recently Kipling station. Any idea what common challenges elevators present? Is it the certification process ?

Yes, you are correct in regards to certification. It is a process that includes multiple stakeholders, certifications and a thorough commissioning process is that I am aware of. There could be multiple other factors involved that may hinder the in service readiness that I may not be able to speak to. I hope that helps a bit.

This is one of my favorite projects in Toronto in terms of architectural design. I feel like more developers should look in to creating and interesting building instead of just putting something up to keep up with the demand.

A couple final features that we've yet to see in action that I'm looking forward to:
  1. The building signage...will CIBC do some sort of more muted rebranded signage here as discussed several pages ago or will we get the garish red and yellow logos on every face of the crown?
  2. The diamond lighting! Really looking forward to this one, hope we start seeing some testing on it soon.

Why? It's a large and apparently quite well ventilated area and they insist on masks (and I would say that being in the terminal is far 'safer' than being on a bus!). Maybe more importantly, the CIBC folk want to get on with Phase 2.

December 6 - if you look closely you’ll see the crane taking itself apart :)

08E505D2-4E20-4EBF-B2F8-EF50BA41F719.jpeg

Seems like there are a set of "regular" men's and women's bathrooms on each level.

Then each floor also has 2 (?) unisex individual bathrooms.

That should make this guy happier:

Yes, but how many stalls per washroom are there? It matters:

It's open for people who need to use Go bus services.

...and besides, there is lot more standing area in the new station for those to keep safe distancing versus the old one. Two floors of it, in fact.
hmmm More standing room yeah, but it's indoors. I think after 6 feet it's not a big deal if you're 10 feet vs 20 feet; what would be more important is the ventilation. Any doctors on here that can chime in?

Metrolinx 100% could not have delayed the switch - they signed a deal with the developer that hands over the old bus terminal site in exchange for a 99 year lease on a bus terminal. I suspect the contract says something along the lines of "New bus terminal complete? Hand over the old bus terminal, thanks"
yeah but PANDEMIC. That wedges in more room for negotiation. We are seeing flexibility around the world right now. A loud voice amplified here or there moves mountains.

Nothing is really ideal where COVID 19 is concerned. But we do what we can to prevent its spread. I wager though a crowded outside waiting platform will likely more desirable for spreading this disease from an uncrowded spacious double floor platform with the environmental controls set to air out. But I could be wrong though...

Back