Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Double Deckers are a GO. Testing had been completed with no issues.

I was hoping they would make the bus depot a little less raw and industrial...but I supposed with regulations and all, they playing with the cards they where dealt with construction wise.

Mystical monuments and foggy facades.
A0B0A62B-C9A6-45D7-A751-54318980B4BB.jpeg

Interesting. So I guess no double decker busses here? or is the height in these photos deceiving?

I think the photos are deceiving; check the super-long pole on the cameras (still out of reach of a stretching arm) at the platform edge and door height. GOs taller double-deckers need 14 feet; I think they're comfortably accommodated.

Last edited:
A false ceiling, even if cheap, would have looked better.
No doubt about that.

Right now, even the interior of an Amazon fulfilment centre looks more aesthetically pleasing.

One would expect that the new bus terminal inside one of Toronto's most beautiful buildings of the late 2010s/early 2020s would look better than that.

It's a bus garage that has huge (open) doorways. Any kind of false ceiling (particularly a cheap one) would not have worked well.

It being a bus garage isn't a license to slap up garbage (even though that is historically Toronto's mindset and why 70% of the city looks like a dump). If this were a bus station in Atikokan, fine. This will be the busiest bus terminal in the country with 1000s of people passing through daily. In needs to look good or at least designed.

Toronto's blue collar roots still manages to rear its ugly head. That ceiling looks like some auto repair shop just slapped some paint on. If this city wants its ascension to continue Torontonians need to start demanding a minimum standard of refinement in everything we do. That 'ceiling' is low brow rubbish.

Last edited:
Oh! European-style yield triangle markings.
Those have been in use in Ontario for a little while now. The new unsignalized pedestrian crossing design MTO introduced about 5 years ago uses it, so it’s become fairly common outside of Toronto (which still uses the classic hanging Flashing yellow boxes)

My question is who pays for the upkeep of the GO facility (or are they renting/leasing it)? Whatever the case may be, I'm sure it'll cost a lot more than the parking lot they're currently situated on.

My question is who pays for the upkeep of the GO facility (or are they renting/leasing it)? Whatever the case may be, I'm sure it'll cost a lot more than the parking lot they're currently situated on.

Metrolinx has a 99-year lease at the CIBC building. They paid (more than) $106M for the space ($30M+ from the old bus terminal land) but I don't know what ongoing fees they'll incurr; possibly just the basic triple-net (taxes, insurance, maintenance, utilities).

Last edited:

Back