Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
It's rather telling that in the signage application from last summer, signage for GO and Microsoft are fully rendered, yet for the actual CIBC logo, the plans just show "BANK"
If they planned to use the current logo shown in renderings, we'd certainly see that branding shown in the signage application like the other brands shown.
View attachment 260688
Do you have photos of the other signage for Microsoft and GO? I tried to find it, but failed.

Do you have photos of the other signage for Microsoft and GO? I tried to find it, but failed.
msft.JPG
go.JPG

Not-so-green roof.

That poor roof didn't stand a chance in this onslaught of heat.
many green roofs are made out of grasses that require little water. The green roof at Women's College Hospital, which I get a pretty good view of when I go with my mother to her appointments is rarely if ever green. To be honest I have never seen it watered, or any evidence of lawn type sprinkler system that is in place to water it. However I am going in two weeks (depending on how the hospital is working through the pandemic) so hopefully I can get a snap of the roof as it is. Also many green roofs use sustainable rainwater harvesting practices. Perhaps the one at CIBC square has yet to be turned on or finished. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_roof#Canada

It's funny how buildings around CIBC Square that weren't really offensive before, just look so pedestrian now.
The contrast is quite real.

I think it's sorta Californian green. That is, brown when it's dry. Green when it's mostly wet.

...though "green" here likely implies plant based, as opposed to tar and gravel.

^yeah I think someone mentioned that the dry brown grass is just dormant, not dead or dying.

I don't understand why we use grass for green roofs instead of native shrubs and wildflowers.

For the most part, green roofs in Toronto (after a decade) contain whatever the birds drop off that is willing to grow in shallow very dry soil.

Shrubs and wildflowers like you've shown generally don't like shallow very dry soil. You'd need to actively maintain a garden like that with a watering system (and associated maintenance) and much larger concrete supports; these would eliminate the carbon benefits. The original plantings are a placeholder until nature takes place but that takes a bit of time.

The roof of the Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario on Isabella has changed considerably from what was originally installed. The grasses and thistles (which count as wildflowers) growing on it now were not planted by the gardeners; they are the local (native or adopted) species which are happy in that environment. It's not terribly pretty but it is a native green roof with carbon benefits.

CIBC trademarked a new logo earlier this year:

View attachment 260705View attachment 260706

Looks to be a modern take on their old logo:

View attachment 260711

Thanks for sharing that! It's everything I'd been hoping for. I really dislike CIBC's current logo. It shows acceptance of the mediocre and delegation of a task to someone unsuited for it. It literally looks like it was "designed" by a banker, not a brand designer. This new one pays an homage to the classic logo while remaining modern (and yes, it does remind me of the Renault logo but I'll take it!).

I put together a quick visual of what it'll look on the towers.

DBOX_BAYST_Fairmont2.png

Hopefully they'll use it sparingly and have just one logo on each side. Better yet, only one logo per tower, in different directions. The 8 logos that were planned for both towers was, suffice to say, a bit too much.

If they really do find their restraint, and use just the logo, this is what it could look like:

DBOX_BAYST_Fairmont.png

Last edited:

Back