Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Why do some Toronto office towers use steel frame and others use precast concrete? Surely one method is better than the other, however uilderscand developers define better.

It's really hard to say. The construction materials used are dependent on a lot of factors. In steel office construction, its primary advantages are large, uninterrupted floor plates and speed of construction. The only issue is that it can be expensive (with prices of steel and the price of installing fireproofing/insulation/etc), but with easier construction, and if there are AAA tenants waiting to occupy the building, the money spent on steel construction can very easily be made back. This is why we only really see it in AAA office towers, save for a few examples. Concrete floors are better for lower budget projects (except for the giant concrete buildings being constructed in Asia these days, but this is because of a lack of regional higher quality steel) due to its cheaper price. Concrete has insulation and fireproofing ratings as-is, so you can really just pour the floor and go. The issue with concrete is the need for column supports to hold the floors up, leading to a smaller usable floorplate area, and it lacks the flexibility of steel.

It's really hard to say. The construction materials used are dependent on a lot of factors. In steel office construction, its primary advantages are large, uninterrupted floor plates and speed of construction. The only issue is that it can be expensive (with prices of steel and the price of installing fireproofing/insulation/etc), but with easier construction, and if there are AAA tenants waiting to occupy the building, the money spent on steel construction can very easily be made back. This is why we only really see it in AAA office towers, save for a few examples. Concrete floors are better for lower budget projects (except for the giant concrete buildings being constructed in Asia these days, but this is because of a lack of regional higher quality steel) due to its cheaper price. Concrete has insulation and fireproofing ratings as-is, so you can really just pour the floor and go. The issue with concrete is the need for column supports to hold the floors up, leading to a smaller usable floorplate area, and it lacks the flexibility of steel.
Thank you!

0CTTY2y.jpg

xYwTkDQ.gif

Midweek Special

Another Jump (please note the rectangular bolt plates located a couple of meters below and to the left and right of the 'HINES' sign)

IMG_1343.jpeg

The first two floors on the west side of the building (mid left of photo) have new corrugated sheeting, creating the first actual floors connecting to the core

IMG_1344.jpeg

Steel tubing is being delivered, which may be part of the next 'Y' support for the cranes next elevation jump. Rectangular bolt plates are ready to accept the new supports (see the first photo)

IMG_1346.jpeg

Massive rebar work on Level 02 of the bus depot

IMG_1345.jpeg

BTW Michael - that "corrugated sheeting" is called metal decking. It will have a layer of concrete topping poured on top of it as well.

Thanks for your info on the correct term for the decking. It may be the old retired teacher in me, but I try to graphically describe what I see and attempt to point out the location of things that seem to interest me, assuming that others may also be interested. I used 'corrugated sheeting" because the average person would be able to recognize the item I'm talking about by its shape, size or location. Like me, not everyone knows the correct names for things nor the methods that are displayed in the construction industry but it's good to learn and to understand the process of construction as it happens in real time. :)

Finally...the first glimmer from the northeast. So looking forward to these beauties filling in the skyline further. Phase 1 left of the L-Tower, and Phase 2 should fill in the sizeable gap to its right.

CIBC1.jpg

Phase 1 will hide some of the sexy quintuplets (10 York and part of Sun Life, but I'm ok with that). It should appear higher too, as it's about 400 metres closer than Harbour Plaza.

CIBC2.jpg

I think both cranes are visible here...

CIBC3.jpg

I wonder if the ACC office will ever be developed into a taller tower, or if a tower could be built over more of the arena without them having to close it down during construction (which I presume would be untenable).

Back