Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Very interesting, I wasnt aware that there were 2 levels of the bus terminal and that buses from Level 1 will have to go up to Level 2 before exiting back on Lake Shore. Thanks for that posting @Michael62

Very interesting, I wasn't aware that there were 2 levels of the bus terminal and that buses from Level 1 will have to go up to Level 2 before exiting back on Lake Shore. Thanks for that posting @Michael62

It's my understanding that full buses will enter the ground level 01, unload/debus passengers. The buses will then advance to level 02 where they load/board new passengers. Once loaded the buses exit to Lake Shore in one continuous directional loop. There'd be no need for waiting room on the ground level as unloaded passengers would complete their journey on foot, new passengers will wait on level 02. It's a bit like a Mobius strip. Sounds very efficient to me but we'll see what reality brings

^If that holds to be true, that would be a waste of 7 bus bays on the lower level in the immediate future assuming all current GO bus routes and regional buses use the terminal all at once. They currently have that kind of arrangement that the Hamilton GO Centre, but it works well there because they have a surplus of bus bays and there's not as many bus routes that serve that station.

However once GO RER is fully in place, that planned arrangement would work very well. In either case, hopefully the ventilation systems are powerful enough to vent out all the diesel fumes so the waiting area doesn't fill up with excess fumes.

Image from under the Gardiner this morning.

20180710_090657_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20180710_090657_resized.jpg
    20180710_090657_resized.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 458
^If that holds to be true, that would be a waste of 7 bus bays on the lower level in the immediate future assuming all current GO bus routes and regional buses use the terminal all at once. They currently have that kind of arrangement that the Hamilton GO Centre, but it works well there because they have a surplus of bus bays and there's not as many bus routes that serve that station.

However once GO RER is fully in place, that planned arrangement would work very well. In either case, hopefully the ventilation systems are powerful enough to vent out all the diesel fumes so the waiting area doesn't fill up with excess fumes.
If they really were to follow that plan, they'd only need to use a couple of bays for unloading, not all seven on the lower level. It seems like an inefficient system to me, but also more dangerous, as suddenly every bus must back out twice, not just once.

In the end, once RER makes most GO buses obsolete, from an transportation system POV, you do want to be able to get the regional coach carriers in here too: two bays per GO one would be a ridiculous waste of space that they could be leasing out.

If they really were to follow that plan, they'd only need to use a couple of bays for unloading, not all seven on the lower level. It seems like an inefficient system to me, but also more dangerous, as suddenly every bus must back out twice, not just once.

In the end, once RER makes most GO buses obsolete, from an transportation system POV, you do want to be able to get the regional coach carriers in here too: two bays per GO one would be a ridiculous waste of space that they could be leasing out.

Keep in mind that if they did use the lower bays for unloading, it would be common practice to use those spaces for layovers and the potential parking of spares as well. The 3 bays on both levels dont seem sufficient enough for that kind of activity with both regional buses and GO buses. The bus terminal can potentially get very busy with Megabus, Coach Canada, Ontario Northland, Greyhound, and GO using the terminal all at once if the plan does indeed hold true to relocate from the Coach Terminal.

I'll also keep in mind that there is no more space on the second level for queuing than there is on the first, and in fact it looks like there's a little less space on level 2. I just do not buy the idea that an entire level would work better if it were consigned to unloading buses only.

I'll also keep in mind that there is no more space on the second level for queuing than there is on the first, and in fact it looks like there's a little less space on level 2. I just do not buy the idea that an entire level would work better if it were consigned to unloading buses only.

I guess lining up like this would be almost impossible (to enforce):
Union Go Bus Queue.png

Attachments

• Union Go Bus Queue.png
    Union Go Bus Queue.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 677
Last edited:
I can't see RER ever making GO buses obsolete and I am not sure why people are saying this (and metrolinx is making no such promises). There will always be regions and times not serviced by trains (and probably more so as the suburbs expand year after year) and in which buses will be needed and used.

I can't see RER ever making GO buses obsolete and I am not sure why people are saying this (and metrolinx is making no such promises). There will always be regions and times not serviced by trains (and probably more so as the suburbs expand year after year) and in which buses will be needed and used.
RER will expand the times of day that trains are running significantly, and it'll allow bus services to terminate at local stations in the periphery with riders switching to trains. It should radicalize the current system, bit by bit, as lines are converted. It will just be late at night eventually when trains are not running, and whatever few buses are needed at that time should still be able to be handled in a compact area.

Of course RER will not make buses obsolete - buses will be needed as feeders for trains much as they are for subways and, as you say, buses will be needed to serve areas where there is not enough passenger volume for a train (of any kind). Routes may change but …..

July 02
42440746295_7f51c12beb_b.jpg

42440747765_18ee884d1d_b.jpg

42440749425_23851766bc_b.jpg

41535435400_9cfec23a10_b.jpg

Using steel forms in place of wood
43295303992_8cc1d421bf_b.jpg

43295308702_78c7331395_b.jpg

41535458550_2cd35a00fb_b.jpg

29474610758_03745542d9_b.jpg

29474612548_e857b07fec_b.jpg

29474615718_d82b41f3cb_b.jpg

29474618888_2eb3b7ac85_b.jpg

29474626898_3fd91ff9d1_b.jpg

I guess lining up like this would be almost impossible (to enforce):
View attachment 149645
You would be surprised, GO bus passengers are actually really good with queuing up to board buses. Just ask riders of the 47, which is usually packed beyond belief. That diagram is actually what I envision happening at the new bus terminal, which is why unloading passengers in the upper level for certain routes (if there are no neighboring available bays for disembarking) would just be a mess.

I don't think the entire 1st level will be dedicated to unloading buses, more likely 3-5 bays if that.

Hot and Hazy Friday

Westside Story: More of the core has risen, and a lot of the 2 level jump form has been installed around the perimeter.

West.jpg

Core close-up: as you can see the rebar has been installed around the southern portion of the core and the slip forms have been attached in preparation for pouring in the near future.

West close up.jpg

Eastside Story: More action in this area this week. Everything west of Crane#3 is formed, rebarred and some poured areas for the Ground Level 01. In the south-east corner, some forming is being assembled for the last quarter section of P1 level. The P1 level only reaches the formed concrete walls running east to west just north of Crane#3. There has been progress on the ramp from P2 to the ground level exit to Yonge St. The area is covered in green underlay. It also shows the beginning of a ramp rising to the P1 level adjacent to 18 Yonge Street's west wall

East.jpg

Trackside: Some additional steel framework has been added to the constructions towards the north

Tracks.jpg

Attachments

• West.jpg
    West.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 804
  • West close up.jpg
    West close up.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 777
  • East.jpg
    East.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 822
  • Tracks.jpg