Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Not so much of a big pour here - it's just a standard 6 inch deep slab on grade for the most part - unlike say One Bloor East where they poured a 7 feet deep raft slab.

Why the massive difference between here and Bloor? Wouldn't you need a larger raft here being so close to water?

I imagine it relates more to structural issues.

I believe that bedrock is significantly shallower here than at Yonge and Bloor as well, which may change things. I'm no structural engineer though..

Wow, through this whole boom I don't remember seeing a 3 crane project! Does anyone know what the last building that took 3 cranes to build in Toronto was? BCE place? Scotia? Richmond and bay stump?

Westblock (Bathurst and Lake Shore Road West) and Minto Westside (Front and Bathurst Streets) both each have Four cranes right now.

It's not a raft to float (so being near water is not a problem) it's one to make sure it's stable. If you are on solid bedrock you need far less man-made stability.

That is simply your opinion sir, and that is your right. IMO the raft here is designed to float the structure. That is a subjective fact.

It's not a raft to float (so being near water is not a problem) it's one to make sure it's stable. If you are on solid bedrock you need far less man-made stability.

I meant more as a larger raft to settle in the less-firm ground. I'm not daft! :(

I meant more as a larger raft to settle in the less-firm ground. I'm not daft! :(
Yes, but it seems clear that they are down to solid bedrock and this would seem to be a good reason why they are primarily relying on it rather than building a large concrete raft. Your initial post raised the point about the site being near water and connected that to raft size but just because one is near the Lake does not mean that bedrock is not there.

Yes, but it seems clear that they are down to solid bedrock and this would seem to be a good reason why they are primarily relying on it rather than building a large concrete raft. Your initial post raised the point about the site being near water and connected that to raft size but just because one is near the Lake does not mean that bedrock is not there.
Apologies, I'm not a geologist. ;)

Westside story: Lots of forming going on. There are also some columns or piers rising from the ground. (Please correct me if piers is the incorrect terminology). There is a row of square foundations all in a row about 3m west of the main forming that I think will be called 'the core' of the building. Directly to the southwest of the core forming you can see the beginnings of a ramp rising. There is a blue container sitting in the middle of it, but if you follow the rectangular perimeter of rebar you can see the rise along north and south sides of the rectangle with the lower level being on the west end and the higher level on the east end. Under the platform there has been activity against the western wall along the east side of Bay St. They have built some rebar columns and covered the wall in large grid steel mesh.

Westside.jpg

East side story: Not much new this week but I'll add a picture anyway or you can wave to the guy in the crane :)

eastside.jpg

Trackside story: The boring machine has worked every night this week. Most action has been taking place on the platform just south of GO train #668? or #665? Sorry the picture is inadequate, but if you expand, even though it is very grainy, you will be able to see a set of orange traffic cones showing where the boring has been completed and one boring bit/tube that hasn't been removed from a hole in progress. It looks like the north boring will mirror what was done previously towards the south which continues to be marked by the orange traffic cones at the edge of the south end of the train shed.

trackside.jpg

Attachments

• Westside.jpg
    Westside.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 1,003
  • eastside.jpg
    eastside.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 1,013
  • trackside.jpg
    trackside.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 828
AFAIK, the shale in Toronto is in a compressed state from the last ice age and can have a tendency to decompress and expand breaking up foundations. I don't really see room for expansion in the footings here. So, is that even true?

Back