Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Interesting that CIBC has its name on two developments. Here at CIBC Square and the possible other one at Commerce Court 3.

They are only a tenant in this and have nothing to do with QuadReal's CC3 proposal. The latter has also been around for close to two years now so the bank would have been briefed to see if they wanted to occupy the space.

Looking down Bremer east of York Street will likely end up being be my favourite spot to view this when complete. This will also look great from Maple Leaf Square / ‘Jurassic Park’, looming behind the Air Canada Centre. A sight to behold.

Happy Frigid Friday. (both pics are through a dirty kitchen window today)

westside.jpg

As you can see one crane has been named 'Crane 2' the other one is still nameless. A reactivation of work began on Tuesday. A jackhammer attached to a digger has been busy creating trenches between the two cranes 12hrs/day. The trenches are the same depth as one worker standing up, which includes the hard hat so my guess is 2m/2.5m deep. There is also some trench digging under the platform that was constructed along the east side of Bay St. The ramp that ran down the middle of the site is being removed and a new ramp has been installed along the east side of 18 Yonge St.

The tieback machine next 18 Yonge is just parked, it is not drilling into the existing building. All the equipment between 18 Yonge and the tracks has been moved so I assume, perhaps wrongly, that they will be lowering the excavation in this area in the next week.

eastside.jpg

It's very interesting to watch the engineering of the excavation, every time a new ramp is constructed the entire old ramp is totally removed from the site, they have never used the same materials twice when constructing a new exit ramp. The planning required to manage this efficiently is remarkable. There is no wasted movement of materials from one place to another.

Attachments

• westside.jpg
    westside.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 644
  • eastside.jpg
    eastside.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 779
There's a 3rd crane base to go in as well

If they have the cranes going in already, does that imply that this building is not going very deep?
What you see is what you get. There was discussion of this a few pages back and the actual plans are on the City Development application website.

prking.JPG

Attachments

• prking.JPG
    prking.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 640
those pits are the elevator pits. We are seeing the first signs of the core.

I always find it so interesting how arbitrary it looks when they dig such an important first hole. Of course what I'm not witnessing is the hours of alignment work with the landscaping cameras and surely mountains of architectural plans!

Rainy Day Friday

What looks like snow is actually water. That's been a big problem for the last couple of days. Of note, the stairs at the south west corner of the excavation have moved about 2m south. I wasn't able to see how this was done but it happened quickly, on Wednesday night or early Thursday morning. There are several more precise excavations peppering the site, one of the larger ones is centred east side near the ramp which resembles the same type of excavation that was used to create a foundation for the first two cranes.

IMG_0299.jpg

Along the tracks just slightly east at the south end of the train shed are a series of 'traffic cones' which represent a series of concrete filled holes that have been completed overnight every night during the week. The boring machine has been working continuously between 11pm and 5am for the last few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 1,067
one of the larger ones is centred east side near the ramp which resembles the same type of excavation that was used to create a foundation for the first two cranes

Yep - that's the location for the 3rd crane

Westside Friday
Lots of rebar work and pouring of concrete during the week, the finished pour is under the orange plastic. The rebar extends skyward around the edges of the pour with the expectation that vertical walls will appear in the near future. Under the Bay St East platform, more footings have been dug and have had the rebar/concrete treatment complete with vertical rebar aiming up. The rebar comes to the site already cut to size and shape, it's just a matter of choosing the right pieces and 'knitting' it together before the concrete is poured over top

westside.jpg

Eastside Friday
Most of the action has been happening behind 18 Yonge as the excavation has been lowered closer to the level of the rest of the site. A new crane base was installed earlier in the week. The first two cranes were assembled on a Saturday so perhaps the new 'William of Orange' will give us a dutch treat on Monday

eastsied.jpg

Trackside Friday
Not much action this week along the tracks except the addition of a digger. The light is better today which makes the work around the traffic cones a little clearer

Trackside.jpg

Attachments

• westside.jpg
    westside.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 668
  • eastsied.jpg
    eastsied.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 639
  • Trackside.jpg
    Trackside.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 694
Of note, the stairs at the south west corner of the excavation have moved about 2m south. I wasn't able to see how this was done but it happened quickly, on Wednesday night or early Thursday morning.

Crane picks them up and moves them.

Back