Toronto Church of Scientology | ?m | 8s

In reality, I'm willing to bet the Canadian arm of the church is probably close to bankruptcy. Their numbers have been shrinking on the Canadian census, there've been numerous exposés over the past few years, they only have 12 "churches" left in the entirety of Canada, and that's including the four "missions". They own several high-profile/high-value properties, like this one and the La Patrie building in Montreal, but have left them languishing in states of disrepair waiting to turn them into "Ideal Org"s (their term for flagship buildings). The church themselves however does not fund the renovation/building of Ideal Orgs. They find a sucker whale parishioner who wants to put up the entirety of the money; which means seeking out millionaires who want to join the church.
There are more Jedi Knights in Canada than there are Scientologists, according to the official census.

Last edited:
Nice place for a developer to buy and knock all that garbage down to build a 350m+ super thin tower:)
the church of S.PNG

Apparently, all the Scientologists have flocked down to take over Clearwater, Florida:

I heard sea levels are rising :p

AoD

it's ugly. knock it down.
Congrats for having and sharing an opinion…?

We don't exactly have a glut of mid-century modern office buildings surviving downtown. This one was interesting once, and had an asymmetrical mullion design when it arrived on the scene that gave it some character. Decades of zero maintenance at the hands of Scientology have made it an eyesore; but that doesn't mean it needs to be torn down. I really believe the city needs to seize it (as CoS owes quite a bit in back taxes), renovate it (provided it's still deemed safe) and turn it into *something* to support the growing population in the area.

Razing it and turning it into another mediocre condo full of 1BR and Studio apartments doesn't exactly make the street better either.

who is going to restore it. Scientology still owns it?
to be honest city is not going to renovate it if they seize it. they will sell it to a developer.

Congrats for having and sharing an opinion…?

In fairness, on architectural style, there are a diversity of opinions in this forum, and there really isn't one 'right' answer.

I'm not a fan of this building either. I would describe it as dull, and utilitarian.

I wouldn't want to see it demolished for more blue/green glass condo; but neither would retention be something I especially value.

We can certainly all agree its current condition is poor, and unchanged for sometime; and that something must be done one way or other, sooner rather than later.

Should it be replaced, it's always possible to aspire to better architecture and/or to meeting various social needs in the City.

Just as one might manage were restoration the action of choice.

Back