Toronto Church and Wellesley | 101.78m | 31s | ONE Properties | S9

What in the world happened to this:!?!?

upload_2017-8-8_15-42-23-png.117337

upload_2017-8-8_15-42-50-png.117338
That was the main public amenity feature to help swallow the pill in the last version. Can't imagine removing it will make this any easier. It's such a prominent corner, they need to do something there that enhances/opens up that corner.

This is a total outrage - guaranteed to feed cynicism about the current state of the development industry here in Toronto.

The new proposal is not even mediocre. In fact, I’d rather see the corner stay as-is until a developer with good faith shows up. (I loved the previous version).

What can be done?

No wonder people in this city are so cynical about condo development with the kind of bait and switch that just went on here. That gathering space was the one redeeming feature I saw in this development and now it's gone. This is just deplorable!

I hope people fight this and make life for the developers as difficult as possible!

Well those three pre-app public meetings back in 2017 (which I'd argue were constructive) means squat now.
I'm paraphrasing, but I think I recall someone from the development team stressing how important it was to get the public realm and podium right for the community.

Alas, 3 years later, they bring in podium experts in G + C...

20190909_114326-jpg.202887

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 2.13.44 PM.png

(Google Maps)

Objectively speaking-

The G+C proposal is not their worse- the terraced massing creates an interesting layering effect, and the podium is vertically broken down into smaller, more visually digestible chunks. The materiality seems decent enough, and it looks like a good heritage structure is retained.

HOWEVER- comparing prior expectations for materiality (what will finally be built) and detailing (renderings vs reality), plus the loss of promised public amenities (at a time when the Gay Village is rapidly losing its institutions), this new proposal is a big downgrade.

I wonder if they purchased the apartment building beside the original site, and if this triggered a redesign-on-the-cheap?

Last edited:
No wonder people in this city are so cynical about condo development with the kind of bait and switch that just went on here. That gathering space was the one redeeming feature I saw in this development and now it's gone. This is just deplorable!

I hope people fight this and make life for the developers as difficult as possible!

How can people fight this project other than writing to the councillor for the area?

Are you saying that everyone here should just sit back, shut up, and be grateful for this proposal?

There are plenty of other things in a person's life to be more outraged about. Demanding a developer change the design of their building is akin to me telling you how to spend your money. I don't love the new design, but I definitely wouldn't be outraged about it.

Back