Toronto Chelsea Green (was 33 Gerrard) | 297.25m | 90s | Great Eagle | a—A

A number of room/floors at the Chelsea have been renovated in past couple of years (and look much better than what appears to be a very outdated image on the WDG site). Ftr, the last time I had friends staying there, the balconies overlooking Gerrard were accessible, albeit a bit dingy.

Yes, I also stayed there a week ago. It was dated, but nice and comfortable.

My north facing balcony was open, but extremely dirty. Had a great view of Aura. :)

a friend stayed there a month ago and the balcony was accessible .... cant recall what exposure it faced.

This is welcome news for sure. The existing building is looking very tired. I wish they would also do something like this to the Sheraton Centre too!

keep the sheraton centre. it is not THAT ugly, and I can tell you right now we will regret it if we reclad it.

The Sheraton Centre is a great example of architecture from its era. Re-cladding it would reduce its aesthetic and historical value, and I imagine, would be hideous.

I see the Sheraton Centre as basically part of NPS, esp the raw brutal concrete. Its not so bad.

w/r the Delta, now is the time to extend the PATH from the Atrium under Elm, through the Delta into College Park. Wont get another chance.

The Sheraton and Hilton buildings are decent imo. What really needs a recladding makeover is the Marriott Bloor Yorkville and the attached Hudson's Bay Centre.

What really needs a recladding makeover is the Marriott Bloor Yorkville and the attached Hudson's Bay Centre.

Though the tower part is really out of sight, out of mind, relative to the base and everything. And given the postmodern bleccchhh at the NE corner of the complex, maybe it's better to leave the Marriott tower alone and address the base instead...

Travis:

The ground level of Sheraton Centre left much to be desired - if there are any need for an intensive intervention that would be it. First thing they should get rid of is the elevated walkway between NPS and Sheraton...

AoD

Last edited:
The Sheraton Centre is a great example of architecture from its era.

That may be so, but we've demolished much better buildings than this in the past! I don't have so much of a problem with the tower, but I think the base is pretty hideous, and could used some TLC.

Though the tower part is really out of sight, out of mind, relative to the base and everything. And given the postmodern bleccchhh at the NE corner of the complex, maybe it's better to leave the Marriott tower alone and address the base instead...

The Marriott itself looks fine -- they just need to fix their sign that's been broken for a couple of years. I agree that the base needs a full overhaul though.

The base of the Sheraton Centre could certainly use a lot of humanizing. The tower I see no issue with, however.*

*however, its windows are definitely aged, and at the top floors, mismatched. But I wouldn't want to see the actual design changed.

Last edited:
re: Sheraton

The concrete can probably use a bit of cleaning...and one would think that the windows are close to the end of their lifecycle and needs replacement soon (hopefully with a bit more care than say, what they did at Hudson Bay Centre)

AoD

Back