Toronto Chelsea Green (was 33 Gerrard) | 297.25m | 90s | Great Eagle | a—A

In case the fine folks at WGD Architects decide to take that image down, im guna post it here:

Yqmmp.jpg

xDK5x.jpg

for $92M it makes you wonder what it will be converted to.....condos? upscale hotel?

Last edited:
I wonder if that render is what's going to happen. I think it would be a lost opportunity if they didn't reorient the Gerrard entrance to face the new walkway beside Aura, as well as removing the ramp to the parking garage.

The plans in the proposal suggests that the addition will fill in an existing courtyard/patio space behind the Yonge Street storefronts south of Walton Street.

AoD

Last edited:
That's a shame... I like that patio space in there, off of Walton Street. I think the best thing would be to IMPROVE it, not get rid of it.

As for the re-clad, I don't have much of an opinion on it, as it's quite inoffensive for the most part. But I'm surprised they want to fill in the balconies.

Well as long as they don't enclose the ones that face east, I'll be okay. Those have such a dynamic view down onto Yonge Street and its energy (including sound) that I really hope they don't enclose those ones. From the rendering above it looks like the balconies facing east are indeed maintained though!

Do hotels ever really have balconies?

As far as i know the balconies arent in use. A friend of mine stayed there not too long ago and the door to his balcony had a padlock on it.

Or any hotel? ever? Honestly when I first arrive at a hotel, the first thing I go to is the balcony. I would find it hard to believe that I'm the only one.

About the re-clad, I wish something similar to Woodward's in Vancouver would be done here. You know, with those delicious red metal panels (laser cut?).

I am not surprised that they want to get rid of the balconies. I can recall two separate instances over the last 10 years where a guest has accidentally fallen to their death after horsing around on a balcony. In addition to accidental deaths I can recall two suicides by jumping from balconies at this hotel over the years (probably many more than two have happened).

About a month ago a young man died from a fall from a balcony after a party in a room with a balcony (probably horsing around) at the soon to be closed Sutton Place Hotel. This is a big downside of having balconies on Hotels although in resort locations they are a must.

The Delta Chelsea was originally designed as a rental apartment building. If it had been designed as a hotel from the beginning I doubt it would have balconies.

Last edited:
Looks generically bland, but still a good improvement over the current ugliness.

@MBS, Woodwards is sexy but an unrealistic expectation of this recladding.

I am not surprised that they want to get rid of the balconies. I can recall two separate instances over the last 10 years where a guest has accidentally fallen to their death after horsing around on a balcony. In addition to accidental deaths I can recall two suicides by jumping from balconies at this hotel over the years (probably many more than two have happened).

About a month ago a young man died from a fall from a balcony after a party in a room with a balcony (probably horsing around) at the soon to be closed Sutton Place Hotel. This is a big downside of having balconies on Hotels although in resort locations they are a must.

The Delta Chelsea was originally designed as a rental apartment building. If it had been designed as a hotel from the beginning I doubt it would have balconies.

People "fall" from condo balconies all the time.

Back