Toronto Chelsea Green (was 33 Gerrard) | 297.25m | 90s | Great Eagle | a—A

markel

Member Bio
Reaction score
Could just be a rumour but...I have a friend working in City planning that has told me the Delta Chelsea has submitted plans for a possible renovation in the near future. He says it includes some pretty impressive external changes. Just wondering if anyone has heard any rumours?

If I was the Delta Chelsea, I'd plan a multi-phase redevelopment of the entire property. Keep a smaller revenue stream while gradually desconstructing the entire site and rebuilding a new hotel and perhaps a twin condo.

Nearly a million square feet of Aura across the street suggests the long-term economics (and the case for the density) might be there...

Or... kaboom... and then rebuild quickly.

There is that massive parking lot next door on which they could build. The National Citizens Coalition might be miffed to lose their billboard spewing out their hate filled messages.

Nearly a million square feet of Aura across the street suggests the long-term economics (and the case for the density) might be there

The Delta Chelsea is 27 storeys with a very high lot coverage. I doubt there is too much density available (if at all) to get it to Aura's level and make re-development worthwhile.

The Delta Chelsea is owned by Hong Kong's Langham Hotels International. I've said this before, but I'd like to see the Delta Chelsea turned into something like the Langham Place development in HK... a combination of a massive vertical mall, office tower and a Langham Hotel across the street.

It has always puzzled me why the Delta Chelsea, though owned by Langham, has not yet been rebranded as a Langham hotel. Perhaps the renovation will coincide with a future rebranding of the hotel.

http://www.langhamhotels.com/international.htm

Langham Place:

880211134_f5c9681c97_o.jpg

880212696_c047303101_o.jpg

880216942_b2fdddf122_o.jpg

880214430_3499b35762_o.jpg

879371899_b4cb9a392f_o.jpg

879372999_e66c138497_o.jpg

880219258_2d302013e8_o.jpg

It kind of looks like TLS inside...oh, wait...they went to the expense of covering up the exposed concrete and putting in a ceiling and a decent floor. Nevermind. ;)

If I was the Delta Chelsea, I'd plan a multi-phase redevelopment of the entire property. Keep a smaller revenue stream while gradually desconstructing the entire site and rebuilding a new hotel and perhaps a twin condo.

Nearly a million square feet of Aura across the street suggests the long-term economics (and the case for the density) might be there...

Or... kaboom... and then rebuild quickly.

No!!!! I love this building. It may be quite concrete and brutal from the outside, but it's such a great hotel. I think to just tear it down thoughtlessly would be a mistake.

I love this hotel... I hope it's around for ages!

Not to mention that water slide that goes outside the building and then back in.. tres cool...

THe building is looking a little dated though. A nice scrubbing and refresh of materials might be all it needs... a Langham Place-esque development might be a bit too much in an area of the city that is already super saturated with retail, let alone another large enclosed shopping centre... it is cool though... maybe that's what TLS *SHOULD* have been...

Yeah, making the Delta Chelsea into a retail plaza would be really a big mistake and would be tasteless.

It's so tasteful at the moment inside, with a beautiful lobby and understated elegance. I don't think we need to make it tacky and full of shops.

Not to mention that water slide that goes outside the building and then back in.. tres cool...

THe building is looking a little dated though. A nice scrubbing and refresh of materials might be all it needs... a Langham Place-esque development might be a bit too much in an area of the city that is already super saturated with retail, let alone another large enclosed shopping centre... it is cool though... maybe that's what TLS *SHOULD* have been...

That water slide is an oddity that deserves a visual:

The exterior section doesn't look like it actually enhances the experience though. Part of the renovation should be focused on making it see-thru :cool: .

I hope the rumoured renovation is all about improving the slide. Maybe make it three times the size.......and see-thru

It's so tasteful at the moment inside, with a beautiful lobby and understated elegance. I don't think we need to make it tacky and full of shops.

I'm not sure if "tasteful" is the word--then again, in the age of gross tarting-up a la Chedington (or the unfortunate de-Dickinsonning of the Westbury and the Park Plaza addition), it says something that no-nonsense 70s "hotel modern" starts looking good again. (Then again, I'm the one who's advanced the "if you think Sheraton Centre's awful, imagine it reclad in LoPo classicism" POV...)

Interestingly, they tried to redo the lobby and some of the surrounds of Sheraton Centre in tudor (yes, tudor). Concrete brutalism and tudor are not a great match. I noticed that shortly after the lobby redo, much of the tudor was 'watered down', with a few modern elements added (large animated screens) and the tudor light fixtures were covered up (you can still see them through the 'modern' screenings on the fixtures). Now the redo only looks like a semi-disaster, not a full-blown one.

Yes this is true, through some industry sources, the Delta Chelsea is currently in the planning stages for a fairly major renovation. The proposed overall costs have been put into the hands of the Hong Kong owner for a final decision on whether to proceed in early May. Don't know about what the nature of the mods yet.

I'm nervous because that hotel is a part of my SOUL. LOL... naw, but I have spent lots of time there as a kid.

Back