Toronto Chelsea Green (was 33 Gerrard) | 297.25m | 90s | Great Eagle | a—A

I meant to include a piece of the text that everyone can read. Here is the central point: Toronto should be spreading growth around.

E444071E-DF45-437F-B69E-4963E75EA58A.jpeg

New docs posted May 3.

From the Cover Letter:

As requested by Planning staff, a roof plan which compares heights from the Resubmission to the settlement drawings presented to the LPAT is provided in the Resubmission. There are modest height increases for the towers as a result of detailed structural and technical analysis. Specifically, the heights of Towers A and B have increased due to the inclusion of transfer beams and additional clearance space required for the mechanical penthouses. The height of Tower C has increased as a result of the requirement for a rooftop damper, the subsequent relocation of mechanical equipment to a mid-tower level, and an increase in the required concrete slab thicknesses. Despite the modest height increases, the residential gross floor area in the Resubmission is less than the residential gross floor area presented to the LPAT, with a corresponding increase in non-residential gross floor area within the concourse and podiums, and the total gross floor area is essentially unchanged (Resubmission GFA – 158, 192 square metres; Settlement GFA – 157, 953 square metres; approximately 0.1% difference).

The Sun/Shadow studies included with the Resubmission demonstrate that there continues to be no shadowing of Allan Gardens and no material increase in shadowing of Barbara Ann Scott Park and other surrounding areas and open spaces. The Heritage Impact Assessment included with the Resubmission concludes that the Resubmission drawings are substantially in accordance with the settlement drawings endorsed by City Council and the LPAT, with no additional impacts to the Old City Hall and City Hall protected view corridors. Given the need for the modest height increases to address technical and structural requirements, and the lack of any material impact from the modest increases, the heights proposed in this Resubmission remain substantially in accordance with the settlement drawings endorsed by Council and the LPAT.

1621111552489.png

1621111588223.png

1621111612664.png

1621111628993.png

1621111653670.png

1621111693977.png

1621111733318.png

1621111762216.png

1621111782858.png

1621111908836.png

There's some interesting angles and glazing going on here. And it's far less sterile from its first proposals.

...there needs to be a bit more green for its name sake. Though preferably not in the glass.

PS/Note: And for new folks here, this how you bump a dormant thread! <3

Whenever I see a notification for a dormant watched thread from @PMT I know it's going to be something good! The level of detail put in to these renderings this far in to the approval process seems promising. That can be said in particular for the base of the tallest tower, looks like the glass could end up similar to the Central Park Tower in NYC. (I know, prolly a reach but one can dream, right?)

Ground floor details from Architectural Plans:

Hotel tower:

1621202718230.png

1621202738855.png

(Scalloped glass!)

Pavilion:

1621202826157.png

1621202950540.png

Tower "B"

1621203047023.png

Tower C:

1621203079578.png

It will be GREAT if they execute it to this level of details/materials. And if anyone want to find out how scalloped glass looks:

AoD

Last edited:
Yeah man. I agree. If there are like 20 notifications I jump right to the ones that PMT posted.
Whenever I see a notification for a dormant watched thread from @PMT I know it's going to be something good! The level of detail put in to these renderings this far in to the approval process seems promising. That can be said in particular for the base of the tallest tower, looks like the glass could end up similar to the Central Park Tower in NYC. (I know, prolly a reach but one can

Having taken a look at the new plan, there's a lot to like in the materials (finally getting scalloped glass somewhere in this city is exciting) and the POPS connections, but I'd like to share an idea on how I think the dedicated park space could be better integrated and activate the area as a whole to make it vibrant and exciting. Please keep in mind this is wishful thinking! I'm not taking into account the complexities of the idea.

Next to the public park is the blank wall of 38 Elm street, circled in red:

1621219728272.png

1621219846073.png

Obviously this isn't really ideal, as the park will feel darker and built over. It's also unfortunate that neither side provides any type of retail activation and just generally box in what should be pleasant park space. Of course neither site was conceived with the idea a park would be going here; but I feel there is a really important opportunity to give this space life over just being another boxed in park like the YMCA park nearby.

With the owner of the land at 335 Yonge (the lot with all the food stalls) currently looking to build a condo/sell the land, those businesses face an uncertain future. I believe this space would make a perfect permanent place for them to relocate to. The businesses there do quite well, and I can foresee the huge outcry in the future when they are forced to move, so I think it'd be best to plan a move early.

With Elm street being an already well known food street off Yonge, and the disappointingly small amount of retail space provided in the current plan here; that space feels perfectly suited to not only upgrade things for the current tenants of the lot at 335 Yonge, but also allow for more seating and provide more space and opportunity for up and coming restaurateurs like them.

If anyone else feels like this is a good idea let me know, I'm tempted to email some councilors about it, as I think it's an entirely valid use of the park space as it's not only enliven the food culture of Toronto but providing the spaces for those already established in the current market at 335 Yonge. This isn't even saying some space can't be left for some greenery either, it's quite a wide space that I think shouldn't be left to waste.

1621220771907.png

Even if it doesn't happen here, that's a good idea in general @emphur. The city really should be proactively seeking out and designating areas for food truck and small container-style food places like that. They're great, add vibrancy to the city, foster small business economic activity, and of course are places of delicious food which everyone loves — let's put them everywhere proactively!

Back