Toronto Chelsea Green (was 33 Gerrard) | 297.25m | 90s | Great Eagle | a—A

I did, and they were. What's your point?

Casa II ended up getting built nearly identically to that first placeholder, and TeaGarden only deviated from its placeholder after multiple trips to the DRP. I think aA's idea of a placeholder differs somewhat from what most people's idea of a placeholder

There's a wormhole here that I don't particularly want to go down but just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it didn't happen or doesn't exist. Buildings go through multiple iterations before the public ever gets a first glance (they're often in a given office for months if not years before they go to marketing). The first iteration of Casa II looked very similar to Exhibit with a number of blocks contorting themselves in different directions as the structure rose. The first iteration of TeaGarden resembled a mobius strip with two 58-storey towers connected by an amenity bridge at the top.

There's a wormhole here that I don't particularly want to go down but just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it didn't happen or doesn't exist. Buildings go through multiple iterations before the public ever gets a first glance (they're often in a given office for months if not years before they go to marketing). The first iteration of Casa II looked very similar to Exhibit with a number of blocks contorting themselves in different directions as the structure rose. The first iteration of TeaGarden resembled a mobius strip with two 58-storey towers connected by an amenity bridge at the top.

And that's a fascinating part of the design process and I would love to see those early concepts. Hopefully someday someone puts together a compilation of those visions so that those of us that lack insider's access can also appreciate them. But that doesn't change what I'm getting at, which is that the early "placeholders" that got released for those two projects ended up being much more tenacious than mere block diagrams put together to show massing. When people get concerned over these purported placeholder designs they aren't necessarily concerned over nothing

Redesign documents just went up. Now 1 x 49 (168m) and 2 x 88 (285m)
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,354
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,931
In the north elevation picture the tower on the left looks like it has a growth on it's side that looks like the bottom half of Aura. 285m is great because it would be taller than Aura and there wouldn't be so much focus on its monstrosity.

Heh, looks like the same zigzag pattern as 2 Carlton. Maybe this is a new trend for the area.

We will be losing a lot of hotel rooms here. In general it looks like the city is losing more hotel rooms than it's building, but I don't have actual numbers on it. I wonder if we will see some proposals for large, mid-priced hotels to replace this stock.

Steps in the right direction as far as the master-plan is concerned. I do love the major east-west artery running through the site. It breaks up this massive block nicely.

Heh, looks like the same zigzag pattern as 2 Carlton. Maybe this is a new trend for the area.

Probably acting as placeholder to sprinkle some form of creative expression into a towering, multi-block, proposal as such. Even in preliminary stages, and without a final design, developers must sell their vision.

We will be losing a lot of hotel rooms here. In general it looks like the city is losing more hotel rooms than it's building, but I don't have actual numbers on it. I wonder if we will see some proposals for large, mid-priced hotels to replace this stock.

While the former Delta occupying the site relocated to Southcore, this is still a huge loss in inventory, especially considering this is one of our larger operating hotel complexes. I also don't have Airbnb stats for the city, but I'm sure there are plenty of unaccounted-for 'hotel' rooms located in neighbouring condos that have chewed into vacancy rates for some of the larger ones.
It would be nice to see a hotel return to the site in some capacity, as trends are probably headed toward more and more hotel components sharing space with residential or office buildings.

Back