Toronto CHAZ | 150.87m | 47s | 45 Charles Ltd | P + S / IBI

I wonder if this applies to all new developments..

Not yet.... although the city through the approvals process can lean on the private sector to provide many of these elements as either conditions or simply for great ease in getting through the approvals process in a semi-timely and less painful manner.

Please, Gawd, in the name of Macy DuBois, let this be a cue for retention and restoration...

Looks like this one has come back to life. This is the Brutalist building on the east side of CASA. The developer has prior approval for a 33 storey building and has now asked to add 6 more floors.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO M4Y 1S2

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 102921 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Jan 11, 2010

Project: Apartment Building Addition

Description: PUBLIC - PRELIMINARY PROJECT REVIEW, Due Date is 08-FEB-10, >>Proposal to construct an additional six storeys to residential building. Applicant has recieved approval to construct 33 storey residential building. See bylaw 1308-2008.

That's too bad. As I've learned and developed an appreciation for brutalism in the past several years I've really come to like this building. It's too bad it couldn't be a condo conversion instead of being demolished. Perhaps the bubble will burst before this goes into sales.

I wish there is a way that they can keep the brutalist building and extend it upwards with a more modern interpretation of the form.

AoD

Nothing gives me the impression of a redesign. I also see value in preserving the building as office and as part of our architectural history not that I find the building visually great.

good stuff...i definitely agree with you on the redesign. lots of work can still be done to this area.

Right-on... finally they will be getting rid of that eyesore ( eight-storey office building ) and most likley have a re-design for this project.

In my opinion, it is not an eyesore. By the way, I did not cause the credit crunch.

Back