Toronto CHAZ | 150.87m | 47s | 45 Charles Ltd | P + S / IBI

Has there been a case where the City didn't accept an application for building to be torn down? Not including where the facade was saved or the building was moved. I can't think of one but there must be one, right? This city can't disregard it's heritage that much can it?

These two neighbours are pretty well polar opposites architecturally. I wonder if they'll put up a CASA clone if (when) they tear down 45 Charles.

casabrutal.jpg

That's a fantastic shot capturing Casa and 45 Charles E., androiduk. I really like the contrast between the two buildings with The Sactuary book-ended on the west side of Casa. I'd so much rather see 45 Charles E. as a loft or condo conversion than torn down and rebuilt. If redeveloped, and it likely will be if the economy and markets hold, I'd like to see something that would compliment each building such as the east tower of London On the Esplanade, a Minto Midtown, Uptownish type highrise - something that isn't all glass.

Last edited:
Let's celebrate - and commit to memory - this crisp and unequivocal DuBois/Clewes pairing, while it still exists. The concrete office building holds its own in the company of the tall, glass condo, and there's a dialogue between Modernist equals of different generations that we don't often see - the disappointing London on the Esplanade / St. Lawrence Centre pairing, on a site that mandated something of this quality, comes most readily to mind.

I went and took a look. This building will have no breathing space between it and Casa. At least it's to the east and not the south.

Back