Toronto Centro Condos | ?m | 31s | Henderson | IBI Group

My office is next door. At one end of my floor I can stand a few feet away from the North side. Sorry I have not taken more pictures. I will try this week. I don't know where they are in terms of schedule, but from observing them every day they are making quick progress. I don't see any slackers! My impression is that this is an extremely well run construction site.

Like other sites, they were off for a week or more over Christmas and they do not operate in extreme cold/wind. The current mild weather should be good for progress.

My office is next door. At one end of my floor I can stand a few feet away from the North side. Sorry I have not taken more pictures. I will try this week. I don't know where they are in terms of schedule, but from observing them every day they are making quick progress. I don't see any slackers! My impression is that this is an extremely well run construction site.

Like other sites, they were off for a week or more over Christmas and they do not operate in extreme cold/wind. The current mild weather should be good for progress.

Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated :)

Progress on January 23, 2010

The new sales office was set up - we could see from the outside - but the area out front of the building was not yet prepared enough for them to open it yet - maybe first week of Feb?

I was only able to get 3 pictures before my phone ran out of space - damn MP3s!

The job site was busy - at least 100+ workers toiling away inside and out - good to see.

Only 282 days until move in date!

IMG00024-20100123-1326.jpg
IMG00025-20100123-1327.jpg
IMG00023-20100123-1326.jpg

Attachments

• IMG00024-20100123-1326.jpg
    IMG00024-20100123-1326.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG00025-20100123-1327.jpg
    IMG00025-20100123-1327.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG00023-20100123-1326.jpg
    IMG00023-20100123-1326.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 366
Pictures taken Friday January 22. Facing West to Southwest. At first I thought they had put a construction office on the podium. Is that the cladding?

Attachments

• IMG_2259-1.jpg
    IMG_2259-1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_2262-1.jpg
    IMG_2262-1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_2266-1.jpg
    IMG_2266-1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_2274-1.jpg
    IMG_2274-1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2269-1.jpg
    IMG_2269-1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_2280-1.jpg
    IMG_2280-1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_2265-1.jpg
    IMG_2265-1.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 274
thanks for the updates gregv

while I have been impressed so far by Centro's purple-brown cladding + black window frames in the podium ... the first signs of the spandrel colours are disturbing ~ are they really using bright RED and ORANGE as spandrel panels on these 2 towers ?? I really hope that is not the case or else it may become quite a eyesore ! :eek:

Agreed, the other 2 condo towers across the street have pale green planels running up both towers and the main building - looks like a doctors office.

Some colour - despite being rather bold with the orange and red - will add a little life to the building/area.

I think when it all comes together it will look better with the black and dark purple-brown colours that will run the majority of the building.

As someone that grew up in Scarborough and watched all the condos go up around the Town Centre, I have always been disgusted with the cheap and tacky look of all the buildings. I hope this one can take a baby step towards something better. At least that bright colour will be trying something new for the area. I'm not sure if it will look good but we even slightly better would be encouraging.
There is a similar pattern of hideously ugly condos in Mississauga but the new Absolute condo there is outstanding and will hopefully be a turning point for that area. I wish a developer would push the envelope like that in Scarborough. Until then though the best we can hope for are the baby steps.

While I am uncertain at this time, the impression I got from gregv's photo below is that the white spandrels do not represent the final product ... some sort of coating goes on top to give it the RED or ORANGE colors ?? guess we'll wait + see ~

attachment.php

Last edited:
The red and orange have always been shown in the renderings going up the north tower, while green and purple go up the south tower. The rendering shows white and greyish spandrels with the red/orange/green/purple spandrels going up in a line and across the top. It looks like one of the grey spandrels is installed, to the left of the red one in the photo by gregv. After looking at the rendering again, I'm a bit more intrigued by these buildings.

metal spandrel colours

I personally like the use of vivid colours in the metal spandrels, and i especially like the grid of the window mullions within the same panels.
although bright in nature, it brings a little something different and pleasing to the area.

building.JPG
Here is the rendering from the website - I just took a screen-cap.

As Marcus mentioned above - their looks likes the base is the white and black window frames - one stip of dark grey then the strip of red and then orange on the North tower and on the South, dark grey, green and purple.

On Saturday I noticed the bottom townhomes they are using as the new sales office had red bricks where the solid red is on the building rendering - looked good - something different rather then just solid red pannels.

Attachments

• building.JPG
    building.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 348
Construction so far has been consistent to what the original rendering showed.

Hey FirstTimeCondoBuyer, future neighbour! I noticed the red bricks too. It was a nice detail that I thought matched well with the other elements. I don't know its painted pre-cast bricks or actual bricks though. I think its the former.

I am worried about the grey spandrels. Considering the windows are not wall to ceiling, I am afraid the colour of the spandrels will overwhelm the building. But I will have to wait and see until the building is done.

Back