Toronto Casa III Condos | 179.52m | 55s | Cresford | a—A

I'd love for that parking garage to come down on the west side of the block, though that site deserves a really special design.

A few years ago the word was they were adding a few floors to that parking garage. It's a nice structure, as far as parking garages go.

what this could look like:

casa3_zps6ecd99cb.jpg

While I wouldn't mind something keeping within the theme of Casa, it will become quite overbearing if there isn't a greater departure from the theme than we got with Casa II.

That said, as far as aA triumvirates are concerned, the Casa group would absolutely trounce the (M/B)urano group.

Gotta agree, while Cresford knows how to sell condo's, they sure as hell don't know how to build them.

You've bought one?

I say bring it on, three Casa buildings with the exact same design and different heights will look amazing:cool:, beats all the mish-mash crap all around it

Not sure about the 'mish-mash' comment at the end but I largely agree.

How many of the TD Centre towers should we knock down?

Bingo.

How many of the TD Centre towers should we knock down?

The TD Centre, or at least the three original towers of the TD Centre, were planned from the outset to work as a single complex, offset from each other in a mathematically ordered grid, such that the towers move in harmony with one another as an observer transverses the plazas below. They were designed to be integrated and appreciated within a group.

The Casa towers were not conceived of in this way. They're an animal of opportunity, wherein Cresford realized the success of one project, and simply sought to duplicate it. The towers will have no relation to one another aside from wrap around balconies and vaguely similar roofs and podiums. The ultimate result may not be a harmonious interplay of towers, but a disordered, monotonous blur.

no i haven't, but they sold Casa 2 in something like 2 days, and are now building a third clone of it. Leads to me to believe that they know how to sell them (see Casa 2) but don't know how to build them (see 3 identical boxes with wrap around boxes, 4 if you count 1000 bay)

as for Interchange's comment, these are no Miesian masterpieces.

This is the crap that the general populous complains about:

Who should be more embarrassed, Cresford for rehashing the exact same design three times or "us" for continuing to gobble it up?

Try the city that places ZERO emphasis on architecture, while considering silly issues like "Shadowing" and "View Vistas." In downtown, of all places.

Last edited:
It worries me that people feel like:

1) This series of towers is relatable to the TD Centre, and
2) that if this is the case, it's appropriate (or even possible) to recreate the same sort of rhythm on Charles Street East.

The Financial District and Charles Street are two very different places; and CASA and the TD Centre fall under very different contexts as buildings.

We already have a TD Centre cluster of buildings downtown. I'd much rather see engaging architectural variation on Charles Street. Toronto's developers already do the copy-paste thing well enough these days.

The TD Centre, or at least the three original towers of the TD Centre, were planned from the outset to work as a single complex, offset from each other in a mathematically ordered grid, such that the towers move in harmony with one another as an observer transverses the plazas below. They were designed to be integrated and appreciated within a group.

The Casa towers were not conceived of in this way. They're an animal of opportunity, wherein Cresford realized the success of one project, and simply sought to duplicate it. The towers will have no relation to one another aside from wrap around balconies and vaguely similar roofs and podiums. The ultimate result may not be a harmonious interplay of towers, but a disordered, monotonous blur.

Bingo.

In my opinion, it's a disservice to the definition of good architecture to compare an architecturally considered scheme like the TD Centre to a Cresford's opportunism on Charles Street. The builders of the TD Centre were opportunistic in a considered, architectural manner. What they did, though radical for its time in Toronto, was wholly appropriate for the Financial District compared to what's happening on Charles Street.

Also, once again, I will re-iterate that I think the TD Centre repetitive modernism thing has been done... 60 years ago. This is 2013 and I'm really dying to see if Toronto can churn out some buildings that represent where architecture is going in 2013.

The TD Centre was cutting-edge and used modern technologies. The CASA towers simply do not represent the architectural cutting edge.

Last edited:

Back