Toronto Casa | 147.52m | 46s | Cresford | a—A

The claim is in all of their printed material and is still on the website.

To say that my heart sank when I heard the news is an understatement.

Cresford has always been boasting: "CASA is walls of glass, stretched taut over a muscular 46 storey steel frame." So what the hell does that mean? They're boasting that they're using rebar?

What a bunch of lying weasels at Cresford! A significant selling point of this building has turned out to be bullshit!

Lots of condo builders boast about glass and steel towers - they are talking about the exterior of the structure. I've never heard a builder utilize their sales and marketing to pitch the internal core structure of a condo. Clearly you misunderstood what Cresford was talking about. The quote you pulled as an example reads pretty clearly to me that they are talking about the exterior look of the tower with glass and steel frames.

There is no reason for them to use steel frame to construct this building - it's pretty rare that it's used at all in Toronto high-rise construction.

There is no reason for them to use steel frame to construct this building - it's pretty rare that it's used at all in Toronto high-rise construction.

I know. That's what made this condo building unique.

So they can legally say it will be a steel frame even though it will not?

Here's what I think makes this condo unique: it's got a Clewes' "top hat." :D

It's one of the best-looking highrises in the city. Now, Cresford contractors probably will screw up the cabinetry, trim and plumbing, and Cresford will be super cheap and stubborn about it, but, I get to see an attractive tower for free!

To say that my heart sank when I heard the news is an understatement.

Take solace in the fact that you bought a cool unit on a great street in a central location within, what will hopefully be, a terrific looking building. :)

So they can legally say it will be a steel frame even though it will not?

The window frames may very well be made of steel. You are confusing an internal core structural system that doesn't make any sense in a condominium project vs the framing system that will hold the panes of glass in place for the windows.

It hasn't dampened my excitement for my new home, but I was looking forward to watching it rise just like BAC.

I'm still surprised by Cresford's blatant public lie. It's not like they were using colourful language like "the glass will be as green as the emerald isles".

They have clearly misrepresented how the building would be constructed by stating a factual error. It is nothing less than an out and out lie. They can't possibly suggest that by "steel frame" what they really meant was the balcony railings.

Anyways, it's great that the tower portion is about to take off.

The window frames may very well be made of steel. You are confusing an internal core structural system that doesn't make any sense in a condominium project vs the framing system that will hold the panes of glass in place for the windows.

It is still a deception.

The core would be the concrete elevator shaft. The steel frame would be the rest of the structure like BAC. Who would care if the windows were framed in steel? Why would they put that out there as a top selling feature in their marketing?

Once again:

"CASA is walls of glass, stretched taut over a muscular 46 storey steel frame."

I don't know why you'd want to live in a steel frame building over a concrete one. Concrete walls dampen noise a lot more than the alternative.

Casaguy, did you ever read the Toronto Star Condo section back in the day? It may still run the weekly sales update. I became familiar with the marketing speak developers use, and one of the popular ones was/is "glass and steel." Or "glass and precast."

Besides, you should never believe any marketing. I certainly don't buy it. (The only way I'm ever gonna live in a condo? I shall be the developer.:)

I don't know why you'd want to live in a steel frame building over a concrete one. Concrete walls dampen noise a lot more than the alternative.

The geeky reason is that I thought it would be much more interesting to watch rise.

Also, I have friends who work in construction who were impressed with how solid this building would be in terms of strength, sturdiness and longevity.

Not that concrete isn't solid and sturdy but steel takes it up a notch. Now, CASA will just be another concrete slab tower.

Back