Toronto Casa | 147.52m | 46s | Cresford | a—A

Too bad. That'll just make it more expensive to knock down.

Actually, the Charles/Hayden garage is a conscientious and quite urban-minded example of 1990s garage design, and was probably built with "extra level" provisions in mind--so to knock the proposed expansion is unfair...

Actually, the Charles/Hayden garage is a conscientious and quite urban-minded example of 1990s garage design, and was probably built with "extra level" provisions in mind--so to knock the proposed expansion is unfair...

I don't think it's a bad garage, as far as garages go, but I expect a tower to eventually grace that spot. Knocking down that garage will impact the developer's bottom line and make it harder to finance whatever they plan to build, perhaps resulting in a more modest tower.

Why this talk? The plans are to add two floors, not to knock it down and redevelop the property. There's plenty of space to build elsewhere.

It's also a municipally built and run garage, not one of those 60s-ish privately-run eyesores. And don't think the City *doesn't* have eventual air-rights visions in mind. Just, not now...

I saw that horrendous and distracting balcony immediately upon looking up at Casa from Yonge St yesterday – and it affirms what I’ve been saying all along: the “vertical garage sale†look detracts from the splendid minimalist/transparent design of the tower and makes the overall project look terrible. It’s already happening, folks. Shame.

We can only hope that most of the crap either gets thrown out or finds its way to a locker once those are assigned.

Perhaps we should publicly shame them (if we haven't already). It'd take two seconds to figure out which suite they're in.

When Casa is fully inhabited will the balconies appear much different from Spire's balconies? Both will express the character of the people that live there - I pass by Spire twice daily and the variety of what I see is a given, not a cause for concern, surely?

I'm going to comment on both topics here.

As for the garage...I think it sits on top of the subway so I don't think they can build a condo here...unless they can build something without below ground parking. I'm not an engineer but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't allow for the proper foundation. Perhaps a very upscale low rise one day?

As for the balconies...I agree that seasonal furniture without junk looks nicer than the sterile look. As for junk on the balconies, there are 2 reasons why this should be resolved and 1 why it could get worse. #1, I have a box sitting with "stuff" in my unit that's just sitting there...this box is bound for my locker which hasn't been given out yet. I'm sure there are others in my situation who have simply decided to stick it on the balcony for now. #2, the building is pretty wide open right now...I've had friends come over and they basically just walk in right past the security, solicitors get in no problem...eventually when they establish the condo board and things are enforced I'm sure they will deal with balcony junkers. The only reason why the balcony junk could get worse is that despite 90% of keys being picked up, the building might only be 50% occupied...so as more people move in, more possible junkies. Also, I don't mean to be opinionated...but I think renters are more likely pollute their balconies vs. a buyer who might have more pride and who purchaced the approriate sized space for their stuff...and we may see more and more renters moving in.

Casa's entrance and from above by night

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Wonderful photos dt! Boy is Casa still dark at night though... And i couldn't help but notice how HUGE Uptown Residences has gotten since last i saw this view :D!

Back