Toronto Casa | 147.52m | 46s | Cresford | a—A

I thought the math was wonky too. The relationship between the balcony dimensions and square footage and the interior dimensions and square footage makes a lot more sense now.

I agree that the standard finishes are excellent. I was able to work pretty well within the standard selection. But I want the built-in fridge and d.w. since the kitchen is pretty much part of the living room, and that's where you really get nailed.

So how much is the built-in dishwasher and fridge?

I'm thinking of going with a concrete ceiling as opposed to standard stucco (ugh!) or over-priced plaster...only problem is, they want you to sign your life away with all the disclaimers...holes, scratches, bumps you have to accept...it gives them too much protection....would i be wise to do it anyway? Is there any suggestion for the legal formalities they want you to sign for upgrades? Would you sign them wirtout your lawyer having a look?

I really like that brick too. I was by the Four Seasons Centre last Thursday and I tested my memory against what the brick looks like at Casa, and it looks very much the same. Each brick is slightly different at Casa, same as the 4S.
This is definitely a project to keep an eye on!

So how much is the built-in dishwasher and fridge?

My blood boils when I think of this. Around $6,300 for the Fridge alone. Plus... get this... $2,000 for the melamine panel to match the cabinets. Plus GST. And that's with no cabinet upgrade. Even more expensive for upgraded cabinets. The dishwasher would be around $1,800 plus $1,000 for the 2' by 3' melamine panel. I can sort of understand the cost for expensive european appliances, like Bosch or AEG. But thousands of dollars for a melamine panel? I might explore other options because this is ridiculous.

Or how about this. $5,600 for smooth ceilings. For a Foglia, the square footage would be less than 700 (after excluding bathroom, bulkheads, etc). I just cannot understand these figures. I can probably get that done after the fact for around $1,000.

Stay calm... stay calm...

I'm thinking of going with a concrete ceiling as opposed to standard stucco (ugh!) or over-priced plaster...only problem is, they want you to sign your life away with all the disclaimers...holes, scratches, bumps you have to accept...it gives them too much protection....would i be wise to do it anyway?

I think most buyers prefer to have stucco.... So it'll save you from having to do it later. You'll just have to accept what you're going to get if you go without it... holes, patterns, etc... Don't expect it to be perfect

My blood boils when I think of this. Around $6,300 for the Fridge alone. Plus... get this... $2,000 for the melamine panel to match the cabinets. Plus GST. And that's with no cabinet upgrade. Even more expensive for upgraded cabinets. The dishwasher would be around $1,800 plus $1,000 for the 2' by 3' melamine panel. I can sort of understand the cost for expensive european appliances, like Bosch or AEG. But thousands of dollars for a melamine panel? I might explore other options because this is ridiculous.

Or how about this. $5,600 for smooth ceilings. For a Foglia, the square footage would be less than 700 (after excluding bathroom, bulkheads, etc). I just cannot understand these figures. I can probably get that done after the fact for around $1,000.

That my friend, is what's known as a rip-off. One of the main reasons we bought an older condo and ripped it apart. Also, don't forget that if you add the cost of the $6300 fridge to your mortgage, instead of paying for it upfront, it will end up being a $12,000 fridge, after interest payments.

Whatever you want to change, it would be infinitely cheaper to do it yourself or hire a contractor. The prices builders can quote for upgrades is a fine example of what happens when you have a monopoly on something.

I think most buyers prefer to have stucco.... So it'll save you from having to do it later. You'll just have to accept what you're going to get if you go without it... holes, patterns, etc... Don't expect it to be perfect

There is a possible third option. I call it a 'European ceiling' because that is what the builder of my last house out in the Burbs called this option. Basically it is a sprayed stocco ceiling that is then trowelled back flat while it is still wet. It really does look great. It was one of the things that wowed just about everyone that looked at the place when it was up for sale. The buyer commented on it also. It is basically a flat but textured effect. Ask your builder about it and check it out. Unfortunately the builder of my condo didn't know or pretended not to know what I was talking about. I'm getting stucco....whoopie.

Welcome to world of upgrades

I have a friend who has developed a number of projects around the city. He acknowledged that developers routinely mark up "upgrades" by 200 to 300 percent! An example: I opted for wood floors in my condo bedrooms; these were an upgrade at $12 per square foot. I could have purchased the same wood floors and had them installed for around $7. When I told my friend I was getting screwed at $12 he laughed and said he would have charged $18!:eek:

Slightly O/T, bud, take a credit on the appliances and buy at Appliance Canada to save money. Have your appliances delivered on your move-in day and Appliance Canada will hook you up with a contractor to install the microwave & plumber for the dishwasher.

Around $6,300 for the Fridge alone.

Wow, that's way too much just for that.

It's too bad Cresford is being so unreasonable. I bet if they at least halved their outrageous mark-up they'd get more people wanting upgrades and end up making more in the end.

Instead they're just annoying everyone.

Good news (I think) on the balcony issue. Had my finish selection meeting today, and reviewed detailed building plans drawn to scale (1/4 inch = 1 foot). The designer assured me that the balconies would be 5 feet wide (just like the architect & the builder did), and I measured the scale diagram with her fancy triangular ruler which confirmed 5 feet. So the balconies should be quite a bit larger than the sales material indicates. In the sales material, the Foglia balcony is shown at 237 sq. ft. But based on a 5 ft. width and the scale diagram I reviewed, it will be more like 315 sq. ft. (external dimensions approx. 40' x 28' x 5' wide). I hope this turns out to be true.

Sorry but I'm not getting your math.

For something like sq ft there are only 2 sides, so why do you have 3 dimensions? (i.e. external dimensions approx. 40' x 28' x 5' wide).

Sorry but I'm not getting your math.

For something like sq ft there are only 2 sides, so why do you have 3 dimensions? (i.e. external dimensions approx. 40' x 28' x 5' wide).

It's a corner unit, and the balcony wraps around. So it's actually "L" shaped. 40' x 5' and 23' x 5'. So that's 200 sq. ft. + 115 sq. ft. = 315 sq. ft. The 40' x 28' referenced above are actually the outside lengths of each section of the "L". You have to subtract the 5' width from one of external dimensions (28-5=23) when calculating the area to avoid double counting the 5' x 5' square in the corner. I guess I could have been clearer, but I was so giddy at having discoverd extra square footage on the balcony that I wasn't thinking straight.

I'm thinking of going with a concrete ceiling as opposed to standard stucco (ugh!) or over-priced plaster...only problem is, they want you to sign your life away with all the disclaimers...holes, scratches, bumps you have to accept...it gives them too much protection....would i be wise to do it anyway? Is there any suggestion for the legal formalities they want you to sign for upgrades? Would you sign them wirtout your lawyer having a look?

In some new places (particularly the soft-loft developments around town) the exposed concrete ceiling is standard. Yeah, it's hit and miss in terms of how things will look exactly, but such a ceiling can have a very slick, modern look to it. If you don't like it, it can always be covered (for a price, of course).

It's a corner unit, and the balcony wraps around. So it's actually "L" shaped. 40' x 5' and 23' x 5'. So that's 200 sq. ft. + 115 sq. ft. = 315 sq. ft. The 40' x 28' referenced above are actually the outside lengths of each section of the "L". You have to subtract the 5' width from one of external dimensions (28-5=23) when calculating the area to avoid double counting the 5' x 5' square in the corner. I guess I could have been clearer, but I was so giddy at having discoverd extra square footage on the balcony that I wasn't thinking straight.

Hehehe, that's okay User Name.
Congrats on your place and I hope it turns out great for you. It's always nice to get something extra than paying more for less. :D

Back