Toronto Canary District Condominiums | 35.96m | 11s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

West Don Lands is a clean slate but still rooted in history due to it's context and it's past, and the development model is based more on Scandinavian urbanism than the crass, speculative model that dominates most new development in Toronto. (ie, facadism and 'go for 40 storeys at the OMB')

I agree that it's definitely looking towards Scandinavian precedents, and would like to see more of that in Toronto's development scene. While the infill projects downtown make it difficult to implement the style, the West Don Lands and most of WaterfronTO's sites are perfect for the often inventive and more creative projects we see coming out of studios such as BIG.

According to Urbanation the development is going on block 11 which is on the north side of Mill Street.

Ooh, looks good!

http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/canary-district-condos

6919587604_1fbec8edd2_b.jpg
Is this at the southwest corner of Front + Cherry?
trying to work out the orientation. Is that Cherry Street in the back right, with Front Street coming through? I like it.

Pan-Am1-001.jpg

Yup, I think the render is standing on the corner of Front and an unnamed new north-south street (the second one east of Cherry), looking back to the southwest. The building is the one with the round penthousey "funnels" -- dunno if they've been chopped or if they'd just be out of view from this angle.

Mods: housekeeping question. How do you propose to organize these Pan-Am Athletes Village threads? Because the project is proceeding as one Dundee Kilmer master development contract, so I don't know if it makes sense to merge this into this thread, or give every block its own thread, or what. It's also a little unclear if Dundee Kilmer will be marketing everything in their development as the "Canary District" and if so whether "Pan Am Village" and "Canary District" could be taken as synonymous -- I think "the largest urban village in Toronto's history is ready to soar" on the site seems to imply the whole bundle will be the Canary District a la Concord inventing "CityPlace."

"Pan Am Village" and "Canary District" could be taken as synonymous -- I think "the largest urban village in Toronto's history is ready to soar" on the site seems to imply the whole bundle will be the Canary District a la Concord inventing "CityPlace."

I hope "the Canary District" name doesn't fly. It sounds too much like Canary Wharf, the famous redevelopment in the East London docklands. Toronto has already tried with semi-success to assume their "big smoke" moniker.

I hope the powers that be in Toronto can dig deep and find originality within themselves for once.

Platform 27:

I will probably not merge the two threads, since this refers to a specific component of the overall village - I will update the title and move towards a block/project based title as more info becomes available.

AoD

Love the name of the new district. I heard they were originally going with "West Don Lands Former Brownfield District" but studies showed that may conjure up images of a large brownfield site...images that I have had since a kid haha.

Good on Dundee Kilmer for this fun branding. I'm sure that one of the new north-south streets will be named Canary Street. People will have no clue where it is...but they will soon find out where it is in the next few years as they venture out from the Distillery District to see all of the construction cranes and concrete trucks.

P.S. I'm still telling people where River City is located...and I'm proud to say, "that's my new home, just north of the Canary District." ;)

Pan-Am1-001.jpg

Yup, I think the render is standing on the corner of Front and an unnamed new north-south street (the second one east of Cherry), looking back to the southwest. The building is the one with the round penthousey "funnels" -- dunno if they've been chopped or if they'd just be out of view from this angle."

Agreed, the rendering is exactly at this location, which is Block 11 looking back towards the City core.

P.S. I'm loving the proposed building on the south-west corner of Front and Bayview (Block 13), directly across from the park. According to the West Don Lands Precinct Plan, Bayview Avenue is suppossed to be "the landmark residential address"...Hope TO is ready for something this unique.

Last edited:
Confirmed today that Canary District condos are located on Block 11 and it is the name of the area west of Don River Park.

Also noticed the new Canary District sales centre (not open to public yet) on Mill St underneath Pure Spirit condos. There was also a VIP real estate event tonight elsewhere in the Distillery District...and noticed that they had floorplans to view.

Kind of impossible to get any construction photos with all the roads closed and barriers up haha. But nice to see Cherry Street and Old Eastern Ave ripped up :D

Last edited:
There is suppose to be retail here no ? The entry in the UT database didn't seem to indicate as much.

Is Don River park going to have a water feature as indicated above ?

Do you mean the pond? The pond is already there, replete with ducks, geese and tall grasses, and a wooden boardwalk spanning it's length.

Back