Toronto Canary Block Condos | 42.06m | 12s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

Wondering how folks here are feeling about this neighbourhood. I will be moving to the area in march and imo this hood has potential to be one of the best in the city. Over the next 3-5 years with this, canary commons and block 8 being completed, the neighbourhood should feel much more cohoesive. The high quality public realm, Corktown Common park and the distillery right next door should make this a really pleasant and liveable area. Hopefully the new developments will also bring a grocery store with them. Has there been any word on what the old factory building behind this one will be developed into?

Think a grocery store here is a no brainer. They need one badly IMO. Would bring a lot of people to the area as well as I don't there is one near Distillery. They probably go to No Frills which is all the way at Front and Princess.

Walked by the building today and with the slightest bit of sunlight I must say the cladding is a wonderful, rich colour. If it keeps on this track this building will really help to break up the slight monotony of grey along Front Street. Loving it!

As for the neighbourhood, I think it’s going to be fantastic. Once a grocery store opens and there is a bit more retail / density, it’ll be a lovely, tucked-away, and accessible area. Lately, I’ve noticed that The Aviary bar on Front Street is packed. Hope it keeps up.

B18566B0-AD1C-43BC-98A9-4512D9017F1A.jpeg

Last edited:
Don"t get it:confused:...why the bike lanes still on the road when there is so much space to separate them from the cars and make it safer and more pleasant to riders??
Hopefully they've thought about the impact it'll have on traffic and cyclists around the complex. Maybe they'll make adjustments later on and put in proper bike lanes.

Hopefully they've thought about the impact it'll have on traffic and cyclists around the complex. Maybe they'll make adjustments later on and put in proper bike lanes.

There is no plan to, no. And the City's own design standards preclude them from adding physical separation to bike lanes that don't already have (or potentially have space for) a buffer, which these do not. It sucks.

Are they building right across the road (south) or is that just a construction holding area? Noticed when driving by.
yup - It's this project:

I wandered by last week and was so impressed with the way this neighbourhood is developing. It’s a good model worthy of repeating. Wide sidewalks, lots of public art, thoughtful mid rise residences with plenty of street level retail. I LOVE the red railings. Does anyone know if they are permanent or just temporary construction barriers?

I really like the temporary red fencing. It would be nice if a building was built with red glass balcony guards and dark window or unitized curtain wall glass behind, would make for a really interesting combination.

Back