Toronto Canary Block Condos | 42.06m | 12s | DundeeKilmer | KPMB

Imagine an entire building with this type of glass.
I wanted to say that but fear that backlash
Your fears are coming true! A whole building?! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?! This is Toronto! (Just trying to sound like the reactionary you're expecting.) … but actually, I'm not sure I would want an entire building in it. I'd welcome it as accents on more buildings, however.

I assume that here it is at least part of the public art component (without spending the time to look it up to confirm) as it's got to be expensive. For covering something as large as the towers at the Daniels Waterfront development like @ushahid is suggesting, I just wish they'd spent enough on cladding there to avoid the waist-height mullions everywhere and that cheap-ass, mud-coloured, back-painted spandrel… but 1) I cannot imagine what dichroic glass would have cost across all of that, and 2) would I want buildings that large to scream they way they would if they were entirely covered in it? No, I don't think so. Part of one wall from ground to crown though? Maybe, but not on a building that had any mud-coloured spandrel anywhere else on it… the rest of the building should be good too if you're going to call attention to it. The dichroic stuff could look great as accents on community centres, libraries, transit stations, the occasional pavilion in a park, etc. Bring that on here and there, and we'd have something!

PS: It's being used as an accent at 88 Scott in front of Catina Mercatto.

Your fears are coming true! A whole building?! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?! This is Toronto! (Just trying to sound like the reactionary you're expecting.) … but actually, I'm not sure I would want an entire building in it. I'd welcome it as accents on more buildings, however.

I assume that here it is at least part of the public art component (without spending the time to look it up to confirm) as it's got to be expensive. For covering something as large as the towers at the Daniels Waterfront development like @ushahid is suggesting, I just wish they'd spent enough on cladding there to avoid the waist-height mullions everywhere and that cheap-ass, mud-coloured, back-painted spandrel… but 1) I cannot imagine what dichroic glass would have cost across all of that, and 2) would I want buildings that large to scream they way they would if they were entirely covered in it? No, I don't think so. Part of one wall from ground to crown though? Maybe, but not on a building that had any mud-coloured spandrel anywhere else on it… the rest of the building should be good too if you're going to call attention to it. The dichroic stuff could look great as accents on community centres, libraries, transit stations, the occasional pavilion in a park, etc. Bring that on here and there, and we'd have something!

PS: It's being used as an accent at 88 Scott in front of Catina Mercatto.

And I am sure [conservative] corporate tenants would love the technicolour painted all over their offices 24/7/365, to give it a little of that flower power feel.

AoD

imagine daniels city of Arts at waterfront.
Umbra has a full (albeit smaller-scaled) building clad in dichroic glass:

Some pics on Dichroic Saturday.

Glass complete. (The comments in the article on this on Dec 16th were a head-scratcher for me. Under 'tacky' in the dictionary, you would NOT find a picture of this! It's rich and the alternating colours along the saw-tooth frontage are gorgeous IMO).

Canary_1.jpg

Canary_2.jpg

Canary_3.jpg

Canary_4.jpg

Canary_5.jpg

Canary_6.jpg

Canary_7.jpg

Canary_8.jpg

Canary_9.jpg

Some pics on Dichroic Saturday.

Glass complete. (The comments in the article on this on Dec 16th were a head-scratcher for me. Under 'tacky' in the dictionary, you would NOT find a picture of this! It's rich and the alternating colours along the saw-tooth frontage are gorgeous IMO).
We found that by allowing people to post on front page stories completely anonymously, that there were some who took advantage of that to just pump out thoughtless garbage. Even though members of UT are still "anonymous" we find that as members have invested time in their online personality, people become accountable for what they post, and they don't post like idiots. So, as of now, people commenting on front page stories are now required to log into their UrbanToronto account. We expect the comments to become more thoughtful overall!

Back