News   Apr 24, 2024
 223     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 320     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 651     0 

Toronto Can Support more NHL teams

I would really love a second NHL team in the GTA. We can have a Mets-Yankees type of rivalry.

The Leaf fans can make fun of the yokel suburban fans of the 905 team, and the 905ers can make fun of the sophisticated 416ers that cheer for perennial losers - 44 years and counting.

This just won't go away : http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/22/another-gta-option-for-nhl

Probably not the best location for a second team even if it was part of a real bid.

Here is more news on the.... 20,000-seat arena envisioned for Markham

The chairman of the group hoping to build a 20,000-seat arena in Markham says that concerts alone are justification for the $300 million expense.

W. Graeme Roustan of GTA Sports and Entertainment confirmed plans for a multi-use entertainment venue on Wednesday, but shot down suggestions that the true aim of the “GTA Centre” is to snag an NHL team.

“I have no expectations of having any professional sports franchise at the GTA Centre as a tenant,” said Roustan, adding that concert promoters expect venues that large. The Air Canada Centre seats 19,800.

Roustan, a Montreal native and chairman of hockey apparel manufacturer Bauer, tried to buy the Canadiens in 2009. NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed Tuesday that the GTA Centre group had approached the league, but had been told to assume nothing.

Contrary to media reports, Markham council did not discuss the topic in camera Tuesday night, city officials said. Councillors refused to comment on the venue.

“I signed a confidentiality agreement and I’m not going to breach it, plain and simple,” said Councillor Don Hamilton. Others referred questions to the mayor, who was not available for comment.

The GTA Centre would sit on land owned by Remington Group, which is developing a larger swath of downtown Markham. Roustan said his group hopes to put a proposal before council in early 2012.
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1091632

Rob and Doug go to New York, meet with NFL commish Roger Goodell, lobby for a Toronto NFL team, and get a hockey arena in Markham out of it. Who says the Fords don't get results? ;)

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed Tuesday that the GTA Centre group had approached the league, but had been told to assume nothing.

Sloppy writing. What does "assume nothing" mean? They shouldn't assume they will get a team? They shouldn't assume they won't get a team? They should assume they will get nothing?

Contrary to media reports, Markham council did not discuss the topic in camera Tuesday night, city officials said.

Sloppy writing again. Does this mean they didn't discuss it at all or that they didn't discuss it in camera? And if they did discuss it, but not in camera, then how could it be confidential?

Sloppy writing. What does "assume nothing" mean? They shouldn't assume they will get a team? They shouldn't assume they won't get a team? They should assume they will get nothing?

Anyone who follows the NHL knows that this is the standard line from Daly and Bettman and that it insinuates that they're committed to the markets they're currently in and anyone building an arena shouldn't expect an NHL tenant anytime soon, if ever. That's not to say a team won't move there, as we saw recently with Atlanta/Winnipeg but their standard line is that no one (whether it's Hamilton, Markham, Quebec City...) should assume they'll get an NHL team even if they build an arena.

Man, I love how ridiculous the phrase in camera can look when it's not italicized (to indicate that it's the latin "in camera" as opposed to english, which I read as "on camera")

Back