Toronto CAMH Discovery Centre | 41.6m | 7s | CAMH | KPMB

I hardly notice the wires and poles. However the buildings look exactly like what they mostly are. Institutional. Boring blah and banal.

It could be much worse. I was recently in Montreal and saw the new CHUM (University of Montreal Hospital Building) and it is hideous. To be fair, it's a much larger complex, but I was stunned they built something so awful. It looks even more hulking in person.

1251077-direction-regionale-sante-publique-montreal.jpg

It could be much worse. I was recently in Montreal and saw the new CHUM (University of Montreal Hospital Building) and it is hideous. To be fair, it's a much larger complex, but I was stunned they built something so awful. It looks even more hulking in person.

View attachment 219281
That building looks pretty nice to me, unless you mean the color or context to the rest of the area?
In terms of hospital buildings, not sure I see the problem ...

View attachment 219281
In Montreal they complain about "too much brown" so anything else is generally welcome.
Also, views of buildings from angles from which you don't interact with them in real life aren't particularly useful. That's just a symptom of the internet (If I lived on a baloon or in the middle of the lake or 3000 ft in the air 30 kms away, etc., etc., this is what it would look like - who cares, you don't.)
I thought they looked very hospital-like and was impressed that they had covered over the expressway by Metro Champ de Mars
(from where I took these).
Although the addition of some jaunty wooden hydro poles would have added more 'vibrancy' and 'character'. Missed opportunity!
IMG_7917.jpeg
IMG_7923.jpeg
IMG_7927 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
1001 QUEEN ST W
Ward 10 - Tor & E.York District

Proposal for a 7-storey research building comprised of 148,985.11 m² of non-residential gross floor area. Phase 1D of CAMH redevelopment.
Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys ---​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
Site Plan Approval​
20 102415 STE 10 SA​
Jan 8, 2020​
Under Review​

Colour schemes aside, the quality of the materials of the Montreal buildings is far superior than CAMH.

I think quite the opposite; I'll gladly take the brick, curtainwall, and punched windows used on much of the CAMH buildings over the expressionless expanse of uninspired curtainwall on much of the CHUM buildings. Don't love the massing detailing on either of the projects, though.

In Montreal they complain about "too much brown" so anything else is generally welcome.
Also, views of buildings from angles from which you don't interact with them in real life aren't particularly useful. That's just a symptom of the internet (If I lived on a baloon or in the middle of the lake or 3000 ft in the air 30 kms away, etc., etc., this is what it would look like - who cares, you don't.)
I thought they looked very hospital-like and was impressed that they had covered over the expressway by Metro Champ de Mars
(from where I took these).
Although the addition of some jaunty wooden hydro poles would have added more 'vibrancy' and 'character'. Missed opportunity!
View attachment 221723View attachment 221724View attachment 221725

i drove past it a few times when in Montreal last month. it looks amazing especially during sunset.

Though not ideal everywhere at street level (it's a hospital afterall), the CHUM does well at place making
1578597094765.png

Waiting for the final product here to give a verdict though

It doesn't look particularly inspiring at ground level in that photo. But it's Montreal, so you don't get soul-crushing cheapness in the public realm. They actually used attractive pavers and granite curbs.

Back