Toronto CAMH Discovery Centre | 41.6m | 7s | CAMH | KPMB

https://www.insidetoronto.com/news-...ction-of-two-new-patient-buildings-this-fall/

3hPV_CAMHredevelopment2_0601_Super_Portrait.jpg

There's not too many people in this country who could afford that...

True enough.

Very nice to see this sort of philanthropy.

Though, without being the least bit ungrateful for this particular donation; Canada needs to see a great deal more of this from its super-rich.

I notice many rich Canadians in the 20M-500m net worth range giving away 10% or more of that accumulation, much to their credit.

But the Billion plus club tends to be more stingy.

There's not too many people in this country who could afford that...

It's a lot of money, to be sure, but keep in mind when announcements like these are made, the disbursement breakdown is often not reported. A $100M donation spread across 20 years, for example, is manageable for a relatively significant number of Canadians (speaking of the realm of millionaires and billionaires, of course), and certainly a much larger pool than the list of folks who could make that donation in a lump sum, upfront payment (which is rare).

very, very few people have $100 million in liquid assets anyway, even people with net worth's over a billion. Most people with net worths in that realm have the wealth tied up in shares of their company, which are difficult to liquidate to fund a donation of this scale.

I saw a number of people on social media speculate it may be something to do with the estate of Barry and Honey Sherman - but it would be way too soon for that

Highly speculative, of course, but I suppose it's conceivable that the gift had already been signed off on and the announcement was imminent before their passing, and it was then held when the news broke.

Back