CAMH Queen Street Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | CAMH | KPMB

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 12.46.04 PM.png

Too bad this wasn't done on the Queen St. side. I've got no problem with buildings deeper into the complex being more utilitarian but Queen Street is CAMH's face to the city and they built a bunch of generic brick buildings. I'm pleasantly surprised by this latest building but at the same time disappointed that they just discovered the importance of beautiful architecture at the end of the project.

TossYourJacket

Member Bio
Reaction score
The architectural plans already shows the use of flat glass - from Architectural Plans, L2 - NW corner:

View attachment 224892
(CAMH/KPMB)

AoD
I wouldn't even say the renderings lie here, it's clearly flat glass panels in them as well. The trim on the top level of the building makes that fairly clear if you look closely. It's a series of straight lines, not curves.

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score

Too bad this wasn't done on the Queen St. side. I've got no problem with buildings deeper into the complex being more utilitarian but Queen Street is CAMH's face to the city and they built a bunch of generic brick buildings. I'm pleasantly surprised by this latest building but at the same time disappointed that they just discovered the importance of beautiful architecture at the end of the project.
Couldnt agree more, this is exactly what should have been done on the Queen St front. The current buildings being constructed make it seem like the buildings are a wall blocking the rest of the campus. A design like this on Queen St would have made the overall campus more open and inviting.

isaidso

Member Bio
Reaction score

Agree with everything you've said. Toronto does seem to build things 3-4 times before it gets things right. This is just another example of that. I suspect the buildings facing Queen will get a makeover 10-20 years down the road and upgraded. to something acceptable.

maestro

Member Bio
Reaction score
Block 7 is (was?) a non CAMH site. The Queen Street Buildings are CAMH hospital buildings and they were built there because that was the only place while maintaining existing operations. They aren't gems but, I'll give them the benefit of a doubt considering what they are and the budgets they had.

jje1000

Member Bio
Reaction score
I like the wall. I think it adds character. The current issue is that it's just a wall with nothing visible over it and at the opening of the wall, it's just an ugly driveway. Add a beautiful building visible over the wall and a landscaped entrance, and it completely changes the character of the wall.
Agreed- walls can help create a sense of enclosure and define space. Best to have it, rather than yet another amorphous space that Toronto already has enough of.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Jan 22
These projects should have their own threads since they have different address and their own name. I have done it for buildings I have shot there. There is a lot more up om my Flickr site and in separate albums

The CAMH Redevelopment: Crisis and Critical Care (White Squirrel Way, CAMH's, 7s, Stantec Architecture Inc)

The CAMH Redevelopment: Complex Care and Recovery Building (Queen St W, CAMH, 7s, Stantec Architecture Inc)