CAMH Queen Street Redevelopment | 20m | 6s | CAMH | KPMB

ADRM

Member Bio
Reaction score
TBH these feel like a pretty typical refinements as an early design approaches a buildable state. I don't have any insight into the rationale, but it would be surprising if we didn't see any changes like this as KPMB iterates on the design. (For what it's worth, I think the changes are fine and the new iteration looks very nice.)

Exactly. When most initial renderings are produced, the projects aren't at the stage where specific materials -- as in, the actual product number from an actual extant supplier -- have been selected, so there's always going to be something of a delta between render and reality that has little to do with value engineering.

Typically, a renderer will get from the architect/developer some photographs of the site, and a preliminary set of drawings/plans that somewhat resembles those that you'd find in a typical rezoning package (site plan, elevations, context plan, maybe a SketchUp model, and possibly some low-fi renderings from the architect itself) and then the renderer interprets that set into a series of drafts that they then iterate through discussions with the client(s). You can of course render literally anything, without consideration of elements like structural engineering, utilities and servicing, cladding product availability, etc., but the general idea is to put the best foot forward in terms of the overall intent of the design.

That's why you never really want to read too much into renderings.

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Mofer Coffee has moved into one of the retail units along Queen West, and looks to be quite a popular spot.

20210818_182238.jpg
20210818_181807.jpg
20210818_181940.jpg
20210818_181946.jpg

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Mofer Coffee has moved into one of the retail units along Queen West, and looks to be quite a popular spot.

View attachment 342689

Mofer has 3 outposts..........so far.

The one at Danforth/Coxwell is a favourite place for Councillor Bradford to meet constituents.

They also have one on St. Clair btw Oakwood and Dufferin.

AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Mofer has 3 outposts..........so far.

The one at Danforth/Coxwell is a favourite place for Councillor Bradford to meet constituents.

They also have one on St. Clair btw Oakwood and Dufferin.

It's good to see a local brand gradually fill in the market for coffee shops, especially with how the Starbucks at Queen W & Ossington has closed down.

cereal

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure what they are going for here, I'm guessing 'art'.

I have no idea how giant mounds of painted asphalt ties in with the calm/natural themes the park redevelopment was supposed to follow. Also, the paint is already peeling after just a few days.

I really dislike this concept, should be just grass or other natural landscaping.

IMG-1420.jpg

d3uS2029

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not sure what they are going for here, I'm guessing 'art'.

I have no idea how giant mounds of painted asphalt ties in with the calm/natural themes the park redevelopment was supposed to follow. Also, the paint is already peeling after just a few days.

I really dislike this concept, should be just grass or other natural landscaping.

View attachment 374617

My guess is this is just temporary. Right at the back of this picture will be 2 new buildings starting construction summer/fall 2022. what they should really do is add a decent size parking garage as well.

cereal

Member Bio
Reaction score
My guess is this is just temporary. Right at the back of this picture will be 2 new buildings starting construction summer/fall 2022. what they should really do is add a decent size parking garage as well.

This section is within the park space, north of the new stokes street extension, surrounded by new landscaping and benches.. Looks very permanent.😞