Toronto Cabin | 21.03m | 6s | Curated Properties | RAW Design

Drove by last week....the facade finish is really shitty pre-fab aluminium rubbish. Looks like shit. Better luck next time.

Drove by last week....the facade finish is really shitty pre-fab aluminium rubbish. Looks like shit. Better luck next time.
Next time is immediately next door at The Plant, which is turning out much better so far! Maybe Curated did a better job budgeting there?

At this building, I wish some other cladding type might have fallen within the budget. When you name a building Cabin, you project a rustic air, not an industrial one. Something like öko skin - a glass fibre reinforced concrete panelling product that can look like boards - would have made a world of difference here. Here's some cladding by one of the suppliers of that product…
architektur_oekoskin_keyvisual.jpg

Source

Why are so few firms using this in Toronto? Is it just the cost?

Next time is immediately next door at The Plant, which is turning out much better so far! Maybe Curated did a better job budgeting there?

At this building, I wish some other cladding type might have fallen within the budget. When you name a building Cabin, you project a rustic air, not an industrial one. Something like öko skin - a glass fibre reinforced concrete panelling product that can look like boards - would have made a world of difference here. Here's some cladding by one of the suppliers of that product…

Source

When I see the building you posted, I still don't see something that exudes the warmth of a home. It seems more like a place where one might buy trendy furniture or possibly a bicycle.

Source

I'm not sure I'm familiar with this product (I don't do this sort of work myself..I only use natural materials) but I do know that some of these novel facade products are ridiculously expensive. Some are prohibitive to buy, let alone the labour cost which can also be higher because of the rain screen system they are installed or how they are treated at cuts/edges/mitres/etc.

Also, that sort of looks like an Austrian prison for youth....still, better than Cabin, yes.

Fibre cement boards have been around a long time. It's not a novel product. James Hardie is biggest name brand

I actually like the aesthetic of the metal cladding. The issue here is the oil canning. Im not familiar enough to know if it's the installation or the cheapest sheet cladding best used for a garden shed.

Last edited:
Are those literally drains without downspouts for the balconies above that just dump water onto the operable windows and front door below?

I look at this project in the same way I look at that cube house on Sumach Street. That is, interesting idea, shame it appears they got the cladding from the same source... /sigh

The corrugated aluminum cladding on the backside looks so much nicer (though some of the panels don’t quite line up), why can’t they use it on the front?
It’s a shame as the interior is really nice.

Back