Toronto Broadview Hotel | 28.65m | 7s | Streetcar | ERA Architects

Gentrification

Sad to hear that the residents of the hotel are being kicked out seemingly without any help to find affordable housing or any indication that affordable housing will be part of the refurbished building. Glad to hear the building will be fixed up and re-used, but unfortunately this continues the trend towards a city core with much less socio-economic diversity.

I'm not concerned as by and large those people have been taken advantage of paying high daily or weekly rates for subpar conditions. The loss is the useage connected to jilly's but not jilly's itself. (I'm more the type to enjoy double d's across the street too)

Are there any photos of what 'The Halls' on the upper level looked like when first built?

Sad to hear that the residents of the hotel are being kicked out seemingly without any help to find affordable housing or any indication that affordable housing will be part of the refurbished building. Glad to hear the building will be fixed up and re-used, but unfortunately this continues the trend towards a city core with much less socio-economic diversity.

I hate this meme. It's a gawd awful flophouse, screwing the tenants. There's a specially built facility to help broken adults reconnect with society a 1/2 block west, a shelter and a family shelter 2 blocks east, Don Mount court a stone's throw north, affordable condos south and north, plus lots of other housing of all types making the surrounding neighbourhood more dense by the day.

Get off your hobby horse, and realize, sometimes, 'affordable housing' deserves to die, and the cockroaches with it.

Last edited:
I hate this meme. It's a gawd awful flophouse, screwing the tenants. There's a specially built facility to help broken adults reconnect with society a 1/2 block west, a shelter and a family shelter 2 blocks east, Don Mount court a stone's throw north, affordable condos south and north, plus lots of other housing of all types making the surrounding neighbourhood more dense by the day.

Get off your hobby horse, and realize, sometimes, 'affordable housing' deserves to die, and the cockroaches with it.

Well said!

hmmm wonder if the tenants would agree with you?

Sorry, but I read a touch of "Are there no poorhouses... Are there no prisons?" when I read the above.

The Gladstone Hotel was rebuilt and turned into a great local asset while the owner clearly cared about the tenants living there. That's the model I want to see here.

Sorry, but I read a touch of "Are there no poorhouses... Are there no prisons?" when I read the above.

The Gladstone Hotel was rebuilt and turned into a great local asset while the owner clearly cared about the tenants living there. That's the model I want to see here.

I'm not advocating turfing out tenants before they have a chance to make alternative arrangements. I'm saying that there are lots of alternatives and the tenants themselves need to make their choice on where next to live, rather than the landlord being asked to play the parent and place them somewhere.

I'm not advocating turfing out tenants before they have a chance to make alternative arrangements. I'm saying that there are lots of alternatives and the tenants themselves need to make their choice on where next to live, rather than the landlord being asked to play the parent and place them somewhere.

If you're living in Jilly's, you're probably the kind of person who needs to be taken care of...

And living in a privately owned building in need of redo is one of the worst ways to provide it. What should the state do? Require the new owner to keep these tenants and sink the business case (and leave the residents in a building that is potentially unsafe)? I think we should not shackle the private sector in this case - if they can incorporate an affordable housing component in the project, fine, if not, that's ok too.

AoD

Last edited:
What should the state do?

The "state" (in this case, the City of Toronto) has special rules about the redevelopment of rental housing units; they can provide conditions for their elimination (such as replacement units or assistance with relocation and other community benefits). I don't think anyone here is suggesting that the old hotel rooms stay as they are; it means making sure the long term residents have suitable alternative arrangements in the local area. The developer, seeking to remove these people, certainly should have some responsibility to doing so.

ST:

I think we need to be careful about these sort of obligations. My take is that the state should be providing housing services directly to these individuals - it is a responsibility that should not be downloaded onto the private sector. Small distinction, but an important one.

AoD

Throwing out? Or just merely giving tenants legal notice to find other accommodations AND helping them to do so?

There's nothing evil here. It's all good. I'd be more worried about people living here with these conditions (and lack of concern) as it exists today.

No one really cared about the tenants until yesterday...

Throwing out? Or just merely giving tenants legal notice to find other accommodations AND helping them to do so?

There's nothing evil here. It's all good. I'd be more worried about people living here with these conditions (and lack of concern) as it exists today.

No one really cared about the tenants until yesterday...

I agree.

Back