Toronto The Britt Condos | 142.03m | 41s | Lanterra | Arcadis

From U of T today

P1060303.JPG

Attachments

• P1060303.JPG
    P1060303.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 464
I like the first 8 floors. Bay Street desperately needed something at grade that didn't look cheap. This and Sick Kids are the only 2 between Queen and Bloor that looks good. This one above floor 8 is the usual crap on the rest of this stretch though. Maybe pedestrians won't notice that bit.

I like the first 8 floors. Bay Street desperately needed something at grade that didn't look cheap. This and Sick Kids are the only 2 between Queen and Bloor that looks good. This one above floor 8 is the usual crap on the rest of this stretch though. Maybe pedestrians won't notice that bit.

I remember being really surprised at how banal and lifeless things were along Bay in the 90's. That said I think it has actually improved a fair bit since then. In addition to Sick Kids I think notable improvements include the Burano and Murano towers, especially the restoration of the podium for Burano. The U condos are quite nice and the townhomes look good- albeit probably a mistake facing onto Bay. Even 1 Thousand Bay, a discordant building that doesn't work as a whole, but does at least add some interest and the pedestrian realm is nice. The ROCP podium is not my cup of tea but at least an improvement and provides a sheltered area for people to sit and have a coffee. I also really wasn't expecting much from the Livmore but it's looking very promising. It's still far from being an attractive and vibrant street but I do see improvements.

The base is clad with stone, yes, but still looks cheap to my eyes. It's this quasi faux-historical thing and the window wall, mullions and spandrels make even the podium appear cheap to my eyes.

Back