Toronto The Britt Condos | 142.03m | 41s | Lanterra | Arcadis

8AD92D2E-4BC4-4937-B638-547D614E7949.jpeg

Imagine the Developer had the GUTS to build the entire tower like the Podium
That will be perfect tower to make a difference in the South Core.

Imagine the Developer had the GUTS to build the entire tower like the Podium
That will be perfect tower to make a difference in the South Core.
The execution of this podium is really bad in person. I have commented on it before, but it really is horrendous in person. It feels cheap, completely uninviting, busy and rickety. There is too much BAD texture in the stone. Should have gone more flat design like the "Kings Club" building on King west. It would have matched the disgusting tower better as well.

The execution of this podium is really bad in person. I have commented on it before, but it really is horrendous in person. It feels cheap, completely uninviting, busy and rickety. There is too much BAD texture in the stone. Should have gone more flat design like the "Kings Club" building on King west. It would have matched the disgusting tower better as well.

I understand but you are missing my point.
The non-glass cladding is what's appealing here, it might have been executed poorly but the podium looks a million times better than the tower portion.
Only if some developer could build entire tower with such cladding on well executed delivery in the South core to break the GLASS curse

The non-glass cladding is what's appealing here, it might have been executed poorly but the podium looks a million times better than the tower portion.
Only if some developer could build entire tower with such cladding on well executed delivery in the South core to break the GLASS curse

You are comparing it against a very, very low bar - and no one can afford to clad a condo tower in stone - the best one can do is probably something like 1 St. Thomas by Stern - and they used high quality precast. Or like what other places have done - using terracotta or metal.

AoD

I understand but you are missing my point.
No I think i got your point. But a flaming bag of you know what would look better than the tower portion. The stone is still very ugly. A tower clad like that would not look good. Would a stone tower look nice? Well maybe. But it has just as good of a chance as looking bad There is a lot of ugly looking non glass cladding out there. Developers should not be appreciated or complimented for "not using glass" if the end result is still both ugly and bad architecture.

The tower is ok - not too interesting. The podium is not bad - I appreciate the use of stone (or at least something that looks like stone) but the big disappointment here is the mech crown. It's indented too far, and it's a box, with a mix of windows, cladding and vent grates. Lanterra did an incredible job with ICE - one of the most incredible mech levels - all hidden behind a design that carried straight up from the building. I find a lot devs don't pay as much attention to the design of their mech levels.

What's with the strange obsession with arcades on Bay? This is the latest in a long line of buildings to have one, and it's very badly done. It's squat, narrow, and dark, making the retail look as uninviting as possible. Look just across the street at 1001 Bay to see an example of how it should be done.

Agreed and well it's Lanterra so you can't expect much

Back