Mississauga Brightwater | ?m | 35s | Kilmer | Giannone Petricone

Well Yorkville has it to a certain degree ... and Easy Bayfront as well.
East Bayfront will have some? From the image gallery they look wider than the ones I posted from Prague, which are more like Old York Lane than Yorkville Avenue. The streets in East Bayfront, at least the ones with retail look like they would have cars, and be about the width of Yorkville Avenue.

One of the big draws narrow pedestrian retail streets have for me is that they truly are two sided streets. You can walk in the middle of the street, turn your head to the right and do some window gazing, and then if something catches your eye on the left side of the street, you can check it out without having to worry about whether a car is coming. And because the street is narrow, there is a good chance that something on either side of the street will catch your eye, because both sides are close. You can basically interact with both sides while in the middle of the street, without having to cross it.

I would also be in favour of a fluid interface between public and private realm on these kinds of streets. Tokyo does this well. http://goo.gl/maps/O3Lwq

Even if you don't have open storefronts, being able to put signs on the sidewalk, maybe some flowers in front of your shop, or a fruit stand for a little grocer or fruit market, cafe tables, etc. Basically all sorts of stuff that interacts with pedestrians passing by to get them to pause and look around.

S and ed are my worse enemy for a reason.

The reason for my Europe trip was fact finding and research to see how off the wall I was on very things related to various things and found I was not off the wall at all on most of them.

Having photos and videos allows me to backup my statements and views on almost everything. There were some surprise as well disappointments, but were minor.

Keep in mind cars will not be at the top of the list since transit is at the front door for this project and it will be a small number. The days of 1:1 or more are over and will be around .5 or less over time. Anne St is coming in at .9 as of tonight meeting for it with the idea to go lower.

That map plan above will not fly at any level and I will shoot it down as there too much.

Prague turn out to one of the best places on my trip, considering it was an after thought to my trip. Too much to see in a short time and would love to visit it again, as well a number of places. I visited those other places as well.

You will not get those real narrow streets due to by-laws and legal requirements. IE: Peeping Tom.

Since there legal issues with the land as well cost to clean it, you will not be allow to build much on it at this time until the EA is done and a cost is arrived at. You may only get 40%-60% use of the land for development.

We need to step back from these cookie cutter buildings as well the glazing to a more brick/stone/timber look.

Height will be an issue as what it should be for this area. As far as I am concern, Lakeshore is 4-8 storey tall with Mississauga Rd being 4. Buildings will slope toward the centre and what is the max height? Some will want more than 15 while others want to see it taller. 25 should be max, but having a 65 dead centre would be nice, but not sold on it.

I prefer to see the streets being used for pedestrians only with traffic underground.

Squares, fountains etc needs to be added with the understanding things don't die down at 10 pm and will go on to 1-3 am.

A new school will be needed.

As for emergency vehicles, I rarely saw or heard them on my trip and they are small compact vehicles that I did see. It raise the question why we have large ones?

More ideas for these land is welcome, as it will help to defined what should be built and what should not.

Last edited:
Wow. Been a long time coming!

Such a huge lot. Potential game change for Port Credit.
I guess all the testing has determine that 75 acres can be safety develop. Wasn't at Tuesday night meeting for it as well for 1 Port Land, but going by what the Ward Councilor told me Wed. Another meeting is schedule for the fall for both sites.

They is a need for 450 new slips come 2035.

The NIMBY folks only want 10s or less.

Wonder if they could extend the Hurontario LRT to that site - it's not exactly walking distance (500m radius) to the Port Credit GO.

AoD

Wonder if they could extend the Hurontario LRT to that site - it's not exactly walking distance (500m radius) to the Port Credit GO.

Now there's an idea I could get behind!

I imagine it taking the originally planned route down Port St then crossing the Credit River on a new, signature LRT/bike/pedestrian-only bridge then a few more blocks into the site. Nice.

AoD

Would be great to see that happen. Drum mentioned in the first post that there was a thought to sending the LRT down to Port Street, and then north to Lakeshore, for future expansion west across the Credit River.

The idea would now see the LRT cross the mouth of the Port Credit River from the One Port Development, along the south side of the existing street next to the existing park to the centre of the land where it would turn north to Lakeshore for a future expansion to the west. The north leg would be protected for this expansion. A new station would be built on one of the legs at the centre of the lands. The new bridge can have a walkway beside it for cycles and pedestrians.

A new bike/pedestrian bridge would be built south of the RR bridge with room for the future 4th track. This would create a faster and shorter route to the GO Station for the whole area. All 3 groups wanted to see a road bridge here, but I don't support it, as it should be further north and long over due. A few were calling for this new road bridge to be a new road to go west along the side of the corridor and shows how little they know about that area. Can be done, but tear a huge numbers of homes doing so. It should have been done before these homes were first built as this area is land lock with only one east-wast road which is Lakeshore.

This new bike/pedestrian bridge would help to open the under use employment land next to the rail corridor at Mississauga Rd.

Last edited:
I imagine it taking the originally planned route down Port St then crossing the Credit River on a new, signature LRT/bike/pedestrian-only bridge then a few more blocks into the site. Nice.

Would be great to see that happen. Drum mentioned in the first post that there was a thought to sending the LRT down to Port Street, and then west across the Credit River and into the Imperial Oil Lands.

Makes sense to have something there - the alignment through PC is a bit trickier.

AoD

There is a Master Transportation study just getting underway and it will look at various options where the LRT will go if it goes south of Port Credit GO Station. Everything is on the table.

I prefer the Port St route and then over the mouth of the river to the lands.

I have a real hard time seeing the LRT going west to Clarkson by 2050 if no redevelopment of Lakeshore take place because of all the NIMBY there now and down the road. Under my prefer route, there is provision for the line to west if the needs does arrive.

Going east to Long Branch is the city view and already in their transit plan.

If you run the LRT on the Lakeshore to the lands, it will either in mix traffic, a ROW with removal of on street parking or a combination. The LRT will have to be in mix traffic going over the PC bridge which will have to be rebuilt for the LRT without widening it. We know what happens when you start talking about removing on street parking. There is a spit in the BIA community for removal of both a lane of traffic and on street parking. 65% of traffic is through traffic and most from Oakville.

These lands would be great for sport fields since there is none in the area at this time.

Last edited:
If it does extend south of the Port Credit GO station, it makes much more sense for the LRT to head east along Lakeshore to connect to the existing Lakeshore streetcar line at Brown's Line.

If it does extend south of the Port Credit GO station, it makes much more sense for the LRT to head east along Lakeshore to connect to the existing Lakeshore streetcar line at Brown's Line.
Going east on Lakeshore has always been the plan and the only way it can be done.

The line will never connect to TTC line since it will be standard gauge.

The vision for Long Branch is running the track parallel to the existing loop as a cross platform change, but may change once that line surface as an EA and construction project.

Going west will happen after it is decided what route it will take only to the River as its is part of the current line funding and approve EA.

If the west line is to go on Lakeshore, the Hurontario line will have to be in the centre of the road so it can make the turn. If on Port, it can remain on the west side as it will turn west on Port line that will be on the south side if no changes take place for it. Going east will not be effected by being on the west side of Hurontario other than traffic lights for it.

Going East seems to make more sense, as the development there is either in progress or far more likely to occur (ie. Lakeview).

Beyond the Credit River or Imperial Oil Lands to the west, there is little to no development planned at all. A short spur to that area, like drum says, would serve for the time being.

Going east on Lakeshore has always been the plan and the only way it can be done.

The line will never connect to TTC line since it will be standard gauge.

The vision for Long Branch is running the track parallel to the existing loop as a cross platform change, but may change once that line surface as an EA and construction project.

Seems very plausible that the the Lakeshore Street Car line will be modernized to match the Hurontario LRT.
Imagine one line connecting from downtown Brampton to Union. Metrolinx will have taken over for the TTC by then. The TTC is having considerable trouble managing things of late and I'm sure it hasn't gone unnoticed at Queen's Park. Also, the TTC is the only fly in the ointment for PRESTO - it needs to be amalgamated.

Back