Mississauga Brightwater | ?m | 26s | Kilmer | Giannone Petricone

The idea of the developer running a "shuttle" is ludicrous.

Residential developer-provided shuttles are super successful and well used on the west Upper West Side of Manhattan; there's a large and growing cluster of residential high-rises there that aren't especially close walks to transit, and a whole bunch of the buildings offer shuttles. As long as they're reliable and service levels are adequate, they are certainly viable.

Residential developer-provided shuttles are super successful and well used on the west Upper West Side of Manhattan; there's a large and growing cluster of residential high-rises there that aren't especially close walks to transit, and a whole bunch of the buildings offer shuttles. As long as they're reliable and service levels are adequate, they are certainly viable.
Would love to be proven wrong.
Manhattan and Port Credit are very different places though, so excuse my skepticism.

I feel like if they provide a shuttle, it won't be well used, and they will have justification to cancel it after a period of time. The developer will just shrug their shoulders saying "well look, we offered" and then the community will be stuck with the traffic problems.
There is nothing forcing residents to use said shuttle, and there will be nothing forcing the developer to offer a shuttle continuously for any time period.

Last edited:
The Palace Pier has had a shuttle to downtown forever (not sure it's still running now though) so those condo owners have felt it was worth the cost and kept it going.

Palace pier also has some of the highest condo fees in the city. It’s not a building you buy in for affordable carrying costs.

DJI_0683.JPG
DJI_0677.JPG
DJI_0676.JPG
DJI_0679.JPG
DJI_0681.JPG

Every time I see the masterplan, I want to like it. But it looks like such a boring enclave with the commercial uses kept to the very edge along Lakeshore. There's also the strange compartmentalization of the housing types, with a few rows of townhouses, a few condos of one style, and a few condos of another style. There doesn't appear to be any central or showpiece public space.

The end result looks neither masterplanned nor organic. By contrast, Lakeview Village is on a whole other level with its coherent mid-rise topology, confident mix of uses throughout the district, and fine-grained urban design. Unfortunately, it's also next door to a large sewage treatment plant. So you get the sad compromise of Mississauga's duelling waterfront megaprojects: one has a great location in Port Credit but a mediocre and forgettable masterplan. The other has an an exceptional and exciting masterplan but mediocre location.

Every time I see the masterplan, I want to like it. But it looks like such a boring enclave with the commercial uses kept to the very edge along Lakeshore. There's also the strange compartmentalization of the housing types, with a few rows of townhouses, a few condos of one style, and a few condos of another style. There doesn't appear to be any central or showpiece public space.

The end result looks neither masterplanned nor organic. By contrast, Lakeview Village is on a whole other level with its coherent mid-rise topology, confident mix of uses throughout the district, and fine-grained urban design. Unfortunately, it's also next door to a large sewage treatment plant. So you get the sad compromise of Mississauga's duelling waterfront megaprojects: one has a great location in Port Credit but a mediocre and forgettable masterplan. The other has an an exceptional and exciting masterplan but mediocre location.
You also have a council and a NIMBY group for the area who like small/low-rise and using cookie cutter buildings. What the master plan was to be is now water compare to Lakeview which has remain almost the same from day one.

Even the Port Credit Marina Master plan is water down these days. Too many rich people next to these 2 project want to see them water down more.

The Mayor's been expressing excitement that 150 units out of the 2600 will be affordable. Does anyone know if those 150 will be rental or simply for sale through something like Habitat? Is there a reputable affordable housing non-profit that's a partner here or is there just a rental tower that will hold a few units slightly below market rent for 15 years?

Looking West from the East entrance.
DSC_0973.jpg

Looking South from Lakeshore Road.
DSC_0974.jpg

View of the former Great Lakes steamer "Ridgetown" , now a break water. Looking East from the Pier on the South shore of the Bright Water property, the bike trail runs on along the South end.
DSC_0877.jpg

Back