Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

two more teams in Ontario? where? an additional Toronto team is about all I can see.
While it would be nice to have some physical separation and do something in Kitchener, London or Windsor, the place that makes the most sense is Mississauga.

It's the 6th largest city in the country, has a large corporate base, is basically smack dab in the middle of the 7+ million people in the Golden Horseshoe, will not have players and media types living and working in what they perceive to be small towns, and has several plots of land that could be feasible for a CFL sized stadium.

I'm not sure if the Argos could share that same "suburban" stadium - a la Giants/Jets - but on its own I think the Peel region could easily support a CFL franchise, as the market is both larger and wealthier than a few of the other in the league. It would be the first big time sport in town and the one team that puts Mississauga "on the map" so to speak, which I think a lot of people would rally around, including much of the local corporate base.

The stadium could be soccer friendly and maybe allow for an NASL team to share. Who knows, but it has seemed odd to me for a while that there is so very little talk of pro sports here. It's one of the few things that could help change perceptions about what Mississauga is, IMO.

While it would be nice to have some physical separation and do something in Kitchener, London or Windsor, the place that makes the most sense is Mississauga.

It's the 6th largest city in the country, has a large corporate base, is basically smack dab in the middle of the 7+ million people in the Golden Horseshoe, will not have players and media types living and working in what they perceive to be small towns, and has several plots of land that could be feasible for a CFL sized stadium.

I'm not sure if the Argos could share that same "suburban" stadium - a la Giants/Jets - but on its own I think the Peel region could easily support a CFL franchise, as the market is both larger and wealthier than a few of the other in the league. It would be the first big time sport in town and the one team that puts Mississauga "on the map" so to speak, which I think a lot of people would rally around, including much of the local corporate base.

The stadium could be soccer friendly and maybe allow for an NASL team to share. Who knows, but it has seemed odd to me for a while that there is so very little talk of pro sports here. It's one of the few things that could help change perceptions about what Mississauga is, IMO.

Huh, we are talking NHL?, there is no chance for anymore expansion CFL teams in Ontario, Halifax NS maybe

5 more NHL teams in Ontario is a stretch but we could easily support another two.

Big Daddy, you're embarrassing yourself. Just because you think something doesn't mean a metro area of 6 million thinks the same. I've been to a Grey Cup party every year, most outstanding player and Canadian were Jon Cornish.

See, you're trying to rationalize your views in a logical manner but realistically your perceptions of 1) the NFL being "boring" and 2) the GTA easily supporting another NHL team(s) are influenced by inherently nationalistic sentiments that are pushed by many sports media types. Your judgment is clouded by subtle nationalist sentiments that really aren't that logical. Because Mr. X from newspaper Y said this, that means it will work.

This is annoying. Stop it. You come off as a pretentious ass thinking you're above me as a psychiatrist or something. I think the NFL is boring because when I watch the two leagues, I get more excited about the action and scoring in the CFL, and frustrated at how slowly the NFL moves. That has nothing to do with "nationalist sentiments" or "media", it has everything to do with preferences, almost as if people think differently and enjoyment is subjective.

And I've never claimed the talent in the NFL wasn't better than the talent in the CFL, but there have been NFL players who don't work in the CFL because of the differences in strategy. I just don't think the differences are as great as wannabe Americans claim they are. (I've had people claim that a CFL team couldn't beat the worst D1 NCAA team, which is hilarious tripe)

Another NHL team in the GTA would instantly play second fiddle to the Leafs, seeing how the Greater Golden Horseshoe is Leafs territory. I would guess this other team would most likely be universally reviled by the majority of Leaf fans as well. Look at any dual franchise city in any league and one team is always far and away the more popular of the two or three options that exist in said city.

So? That wasn't the argument at all. The argument was that the GTA is fully capable of supporting another team, and it would be more successful than many, if not more than half the American NHL franchises. As much as the Leafs are ingrained in the city, there are still many Leaf-haters who would hop onto the team, and many fairweather fans that would too for the cheaper option and possibly more successful (as far as the actual team is concerned) option. MLSE is a completely different argument because I agree they'd never allow someone to break their monopoly.

Big Daddy, you're embarrassing yourself. Just because you think something doesn't mean a metro area of 6 million thinks the same. I've been to a Grey Cup party every year, most outstanding player and Canadian were Jon Cornish.

This is annoying. Stop it. You come off as a pretentious ass thinking you're above me as a psychiatrist or something. I think the NFL is boring because when I watch the two leagues, I get more excited about the action and scoring in the CFL, and frustrated at how slowly the NFL moves. That has nothing to do with "nationalist sentiments" or "media", it has everything to do with preferences, almost as if people think differently and enjoyment is subjective.

And I've never claimed the talent in the NFL wasn't better than the talent in the CFL, but there have been NFL players who don't work in the CFL because of the differences in strategy. I just don't think the differences are as great as wannabe Americans claim they are. (I've had people claim that a CFL team couldn't beat the worst D1 NCAA team, which is hilarious tripe)

So? That wasn't the argument at all. The argument was that the GTA is fully capable of supporting another team, and it would be more successful than many, if not more than half the American NHL franchises. As much as the Leafs are ingrained in the city, there are still many Leaf-haters who would hop onto the team, and many fairweather fans that would too for the cheaper option and possibly more successful (as far as the actual team is concerned) option. MLSE is a completely different argument because I agree they'd never allow someone to break their monopoly.

Fair enough. You prefer the CFL game over the NFL game based on the excitement factor. I understand that. But again, you believe the differences aren't THAT great between the two leagues. Yes, whoever claimed the worst D1 school could beat a CFL squad is an idiot but perhaps compare a top NCAA D1 school to a top CIS school and I think you have a more fair comparison of differences in talent level. Different playing styles aside, the NFL employs superior football players. When you look at the star players of both leagues, the talent differential widens even further. If you can't see that in an objective manner, then something is distorting your perception of reality.

My point re: a second NHL team in the GTA is that you're basing your argument on subjective sentiments that have been articulated by many sports media types that are inherently nationalistic in nature (Bettman is anti-Canada, hockey is our game, etc). In the highly unlikely event a second team ever comes to the GTA, you're dumping a franchise in the middle of perhaps the largest and strongest fan base in the entire league. It would also have to compete with the Raptors during the NBA season, who I might add are gaining huge traction in the market because of 1) their recent success and 2) who do you think first and second generation immigrant children in the GTA are identifying more with? Hockey players or basketball players? FYI, hockey enrolment is declining in Canada, so is there really some massive untapped market out there for another team? Doubt it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...tun-former-nhl-great-messier/article13567822/

170 PRINCES BLVD
Ward 19 - Tor & E.York District

To obtain site plan approval to allow for the expansion of BMO field.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 14 171615 STE 19 SA Jun 10, 2014 Under Review

170 PRINCES BLVD
Ward 19 - Tor & E.York District

To obtain site plan approval to allow for the expansion of BMO field.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 14 171615 STE 19 SA Jun 10, 2014 Under Review

I am throwing a flag....you can't come into the BMO FIELD expansion thread and post about the expansion of BMO FIELD......you must compare the CFL to the NFL ;)

two more teams in Ontario? where? an additional Toronto team is about all I can see.
Another in Toronto and one in Hamilton. Look at it this way - Ontario has more people than all of western Canada combined yet it has only half the NHL teams. That's a huge untapped market for more teams. Ticket drives in Hamilton in the past were massive successes. Realistically though, the most we'll probably get is one more team.

Another NHL team in the GTA would instantly play second fiddle to the Leafs, seeing how the Greater Golden Horseshoe is Leafs territory. I would guess this other team would most likely be universally reviled by the majority of Leaf fans as well. Look at any dual franchise city in any league and one team is always far and away the more popular of the two or three options that exist in said city. Not to mention how ingrained the Leafs are into Toronto's sporting history as well as the infringement on marketing rights that MLSE will claim should a second team ever try to step foot in the GTA.
Look outside North America. London has 6 Premier League Teams. Melbourne has 9 AFL teams. Different histories sure, but a second team in the GTA would do fine. It would have a huge population of non-Leafs fans to draw from, and maybe even a few converts. A Hamilton team would have a market of millions in SW Ontario, Niagara Region, and the west GTA. Stuff like marketing rights and resistance from MLSE isn't relevant - my only point is that the province could support two new teams, not whether it's actually likely to happen.

I am throwing a flag....you can't come into the BMO FIELD expansion thread and post about the expansion of BMO FIELD......you must compare the CFL to the NFL ;)

Lol that made me chuckle. But in all seriousness, does this mean the expansion is going forward without the Argos in mind?

Lol that made me chuckle. But in all seriousness, does this mean the expansion is going forward without the Argos in mind?

That was the latest indication from MLSE....given the lack of federal and provincial monies they said they would proceed on the expansion of BMO Field but with just soccer (and I guess rugby) accommodated.

As for the whole CFL v NFL thing....I am sure it is an interesting discussion to some...and it is clear that some here have a real passion for one side or the other....it just is not particularly relevant to this thread. Discussion about an Argos home (BMO v Rogers v York/somewhere else) I can see that fringing on relevance to BMO Field but CFL v NFL not so much. As to how many NHL teams this area could support...also an interesting discussion but since none of them will play at BMO Field (except the rare and ocassional outdoor games) I don't see how that fits in (and I'll tell you I do have opinions on that and was itching to get involved but it just seems to be the wrong place for the discussion).

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2014.MM52.28

So only the expansion to 30,000 for now - if the extra $20million is stumped up - then the CFL renos will take place

Following Council's approval of the original Letter of Intent (LOI) for the renovation and expansion of BMO Field at its meeting in April, it has become clear that, because of the upcoming Provincial election, and other factors, the Provincial and Federal governments are currently unable to provide the requested funding commitments to this project.

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. has proposed revised project phasing that would allow the first and second phases of the project to proceed while negotiations continue with the Federal and Provincial governments regarding their potential contributions towards the third phase of the project, which makes the facility suitable for Canadian Football League events.

As the revised phasing plan will hold open the possibility of creating a new home facility for the Toronto Argonauts at BMO Field, and there will be no negative financial impact on the City resulting from the proposed changes in phasing, the City Manager has recommended in the attached staff report that Council approve an amended LOI that incorporates these changes.

This Motion is urgent as MLSE has advised that a contract must be entered into with a general contractor and the structural steel ordered for the project by mid-June if the first phase of construction is to be completed in time to ensure the availability of the stadium for the Pan Am Games in 2015.

Tim Leiweke was on the Fan590 this morning and he said the BMO Field upgrades will break ground in 2 weeks.

No signs of any updated renders plans though.

I wonder if this project has been shelved, with the departure of Tim Leiweke. I also wonder if that is part of the reason why he is leaving.

TFC is imploding right now. I realize this expansion is for Leafs outdoor games, but at this point there is zero need for 8000 more seats for TFC.

Plus there has been no news on this project for months. Were we not promised renderings and news about this months ago? Weren't they suppose to start construction soon?

did you read the post above yours?

they can't start anything until the CNE is over

Back