Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

Re: Bloor Street Revitalization

Very exciting! Never underestimate the power of the tree... one of the main reasons I think the city looks infinitely better in the summer.

I think the project should extend West to St George... I understand it is outside the present limitations of the Bloor Yorkville BIA, however, it would create a cohesive stroll from the Bata Shoe Museum to Yonge Street.

^ I also think think it should extend east just past Jarvis to the bridge over Mount Pleasent. Obvioulsy that would be cost prohibitive, but given that the old church there is undergoing extensive renovations to fix it up and all the new development around the Jarvis/Bloor intersection (Bellegio, Rogers expansion, Bloor Walk I & II, Residences on Bloor renovation & streetscape improvements, X Condo etc.) That whole area has undergone tremendous change in just the last 5 years and should continue for the next few at least.

dundas-square-esque fountains in front of the RBC bunker at yonge and bloor

the wind whips through that intersection some days like a bat outta hell - should be interesting

Good to hear this project is going ahead.

I heard the this on the radio as well (680 News)...the reporter seemed to be almost trying to create outrage, saying that taxpayers will have to fork over $25 million and that the street will look pretty much the same.

Great news!! I hope this will pave the way for more tree lined streets in the future.

Renderings from Brown+Storey (for easy viewing)

Yonge-02__large500.jpg

Avenue-01__large500.jpg

Colonnade-01__large500.jpg

Holt-01__large500.jpg

Manu-01__large500.jpg

View-01-prop__large500.jpg

Yonge-01__large500.jpg

-----------------------​

Definitely like the addition of the trees, the lights in the sidewalk, the fountains (that'll probably mean no more streetmeat on the NE corner of Bloor and Yonge) and the artwork.

It appears that one component of the street design will be the same as before... the light standards! Even though the ones shown in the rendering appear to be darker than the standards existing now, it looks like the existing ones are here to stay, which I think is unfortunate because they stand out just as much as the trees will (especially in winter). I hope the standards will be replaced along this stretch of Bloor to differentiate Yorkville from the rest of Bloor-Danforth that also use the same standards. And if they do plan on getting new standards, they better be better than the Downtown Yonge ones!

Even though it's a "joint effort" between the City and the BIA, let's hope this thing doesn't mess up on the City's end. The megabin fiasco has really sent the City's reputation for making sidewalks better right down the drain.

A nice local touch with the plantings, given the widespread use of ornamental kale as the unofficial emblem of Cabbagetown.

The little cedars, peeking out of the snow, will be cheerful in the winter, though small holly bushes ( Blue Prince and Blue Princess varieties maybe ) would have added a dash more colour with the berries.

If the intersection in picture 1 is Yonge and Bloor (which it appears to be), it looks like they have already put in 1 Bloor East on the left side.

I'm sure I remember that outwards sloping facade from the podium, behind which they were proposing to house the Famous Players cinema.

The mystery of renderings. Is the road design just BS. Why is the RBC sign yellow, yet the "yellow" lines on the road are white?

In this landscape design, the majestic "high rise" London plane trees are in a realm of their own and will have a distinctive impact. I wonder, therefore, why they were included - along with the "low rise" tulips, geraniums, kale and cedars - in the low planters? Only the first rendering shows them standing alone, which is how I think they would work best. The tall trees and the long low planters could play off of one another as design elements.

Will they replace the granite with patches of asphault when they dig for utilities?

just look at st. george street for an answer to your question. it seems like a waste of money to use granite paving stones when the city rips them out for utilility digs and patches later with asphalt instead of the original paving stones.

^ That stretch is being rebuilt with paving stones this year. That's why it was left with asphalt infill.

Good news! I see they forsee Holt's reverting to their old logo;)

I was just thinking about this yesterday... Lo and behold, they're holding a press conference. Excellent news all around.

Back