Toronto Bloor & Dufferin | 122.35m | 37s | Hazelview | Turner Fleischer

Interesting. CD works with aA on all of their Toronto projects so at least it'll look good. Hopefully we'll see something promising in the next short while.

I wonder what the winning bid was...

I have a good friend moving over from Europe. Who's son will attend a class in the former Kent PS building. His family will be getting a house in the neighbourhood.... but will the Building be demolished ??? Will the German / Art / Learning classes be moving ?? This is a big deal for him..... This has thrown a huge wrench in his planning, what is the plan with this building? Nobody can answer this at the building office, he has been calling recently.

I have a good friend moving over from Europe. Who's son will attend a class in the former Kent PS building. His family will be getting a house in the neighbourhood.... but will the Building be demolished ??? Will the German / Art / Learning classes be moving ?? This is a big deal for him..... This has thrown a huge wrench in his planning, what is the plan with this building? Nobody can answer this at the building office, he has been calling recently.

To early to call, he will have to hold on till more info comes out

While we wait for more info, (we are looking into it further), I think one can assume that the new school—which is to be built on the site of the closed Brockton High School, would be ready before they tear down Bloor Collegiate. No word anything happening to Kent PS just yet.

While we wait for more info, (we are looking into it further), I think one can assume that the new school—which is to be built on the site of the closed Brockton High School, would be ready before they tear down Bloor Collegiate. No word anything happening to Kent PS just yet.

The press release states that there will be 'new community space' 20,000 sq ft to be approximate.... A new high school on the former Brockton lot, consolidating Bloor Coll. and tenants into the new building. Then below it says "mixed use development". So at this point it is very vague. Does mixed use development mean " 3 residential towers, and 1 office tower ?" Would they demolish all the existing structures on site ? I assume so.. as this is a joint venture between CD Capital and TDSB. TDSB will be overseeing the development and grant options to CD on their mixed use plan. So some portions would need to be developed on this large site.

However, still no solid idea on the fate of Kent PS. (aka German School / Art Space / Adult Education / Special Education tenants.

My friend is definitely stressing at this point, because they intend to purchase a condo / home within walking distance to the school. If the School is evicted and forced to move out, where would they go ? If they move up and away, then my friend is in deep Sh*t with his home location. Currently, the building is leased until 2018... so its only 1.5 years until they would need to extend the lease, or get evicted afterwards, depending on the development timeline

Last edited:
At the end of the day, as usual people will expect the heritage to be respected, new green space, affordable housing, new school, day care + community centre, etc.... and please no hi-rises:D
Hmm? 121.5 million/7.3 acres, expect 3-4 bldgs. of 25s-30s here

if they could build an all indoor walking connection to the Dufferin Mall it would be a godsend. Doubt it will happen though.

The TDSB's media release says:
"The TDSB is also developing plans to relocate Bloor Collegiate students and staff during the construction period and will be consulting the school community on timing and relocation options."

So it sounds like there will be a lot of disruption to the Bloor CI students as they are located while the redevelopment is happening and before they get to move into a new school building.

Does anyone have thoughts on CD capital as a developer? I'm not familiar with them. Interested in how they have typically engaged with locals, project management, design excellence, etc. I will check out their current project sites too.

24097-83774.png

Well this wil be a massive site, won't it... A lot to fit in this site as well, especially if the city is demanding a park/public space. I echo a poster from the first page, a public square on the south-west corner of Bloor-Dufferin would be splendid.

The other thing that comes to mind is what this means for the future of the Bloor/Dufferin area? We have this site, the Galleria Development to the north, and my bet is on Dufferin Mall being imagined differently one day as well.

Dufferin Subway anyone?

I many have just missed this detail but is the field to the South of Croatia also part of this development? I'm talking about Brockton Stadium or whatever it's called. I once heard it was going to be built over. I think that would be as much or even more of a shame then a loss of heritage buildings. Structures can always be re-built but open space is generally gone forever in an urban context once it is developed.

Back