Toronto Bloor & Dufferin | 122.35m | 37s | Hazelview | Turner Fleischer

Let's pray that Daniels doesn't prevail. Their architectural history and general affection for Kirkor are disturbing.

Keeping Kent is something that most teams will do as I believe it is one of the prerequisites for submitting a bid.

By "theatre" I mean a live performance space, not a movie theatre.

And I'm not aware of any bid requirement to keep the Kent building. In fact, many people in the neighbourhood are dreading that a bid will win that proposes to demolish it.

Keeping the Kent building should be a must IMO.

Absolutely, in it's entirety, not just a token facadectomy. The rest of the site is expendable. An underground pedestrian tunnel to the mall from the subway would be great too.

Even just a covered walkway would be nice, that sidewalk is very well used. Not sure how to address the Taco Bell drive-thru shortcut though. People will always take the shortest route (myself included). Maybe the mall could expand their North entrance to the road.

Even just a covered walkway would be nice, that sidewalk is very well used. Not sure how to address the Taco Bell drive-thru shortcut though. People will always take the shortest route (myself included). Maybe the mall could expand their North entrance to the road.

They could expand as far as Croatia Street, because their parking lots extend that far. Beyond that though, a creative solution would have to be found. I still think an underground tunnel would be ideal. That walk across those vast parking lots and drive-thrus is very hostile for pedestrians.

This is a beautiful building although I have no idea what it looks like now. Reminds me of the Artscape building on Shaw Street. Btw...does this building have an auditorium that could be converted into a theatre?

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,598
Last edited:
I have always wanted a high school geared towards planning and architecture students like they have in New York State. This would be a good location for that here.

I have always wanted a high school geared towards planning and architecture students like they have in New York State. This would be a good location for that here.

And they should put it right by the most awful buildings of late - nothing like a figurative head on a pike of bad architecture to warn future practitioners what happens when they mess up.

AoD

Has anyone heard an update about the bid process? As far as I know the bid deadline has passed so I'm curious where they're at.

Just heard through the grapevine that Daniels has been notified they are out of the running. No word yet on who the winning bidder is, if it's been chosen yet.

And the winner is... CD Capital!

The site will become a community hub, with a brand new secondary school for 900 students, a childcare centre, green spaces, a mix of commercial and residential uses, with probably affordable housing. The words "legacy project", "density", "heritage preservation", "revitalization", "green spaces" and "collaboration" were mentioned several times during the press conference.

Community consultations will start some time in January to determine what we need in the neighbourhood.

Back