Toronto Maple House at Canary Landing | 89.61m | 26s | Dream | COBE Architects

per the renders, this third building actually has a different aesthetic compared to the other two. looks like the brick will be slightly different for the others
don_4.jpg

Does anyone know anything about plans for the parking lot right to the east? Is it still reserved for a school? Any movement on that front?

Does anyone know anything about plans for the parking lot right to the east?

Yes.

Is it still reserved for a school?

Yes.

Any movement on that front?

Yes.

LOL enough of the tease......

It's the #9 project in queue for the TDSB among major capital projects. A business case has been submitted to the Ministry, and the land has been transferred to the TDSB.

However, the opportunity for construction is deferred as Mx want this block as a laydown site for the Ontario Line, as per the below:

1626809936875.png

That info comes from: https://www.tdsb.on.ca/Portals/0/docs/Community_Planning_Partnerships/CapitalPriorities2021/9 - West Donlands Final_May21.pdf

From the same document.............we learn that the school will be over capacity within 3 years of opening!

1626810092026.png

The black dashed line in the graph below represents the as-built (proposed) capacity of the new school:

1626810172523.png

The toddler will be 8 in 2027, so I guess he will be part of the oversubscription, unless there's room at the St. Lawrence one or they build the one at the waterfront. Or (sigh...) we move to the suburbs because there are not enough schools downtown.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

LOL enough of the tease......

It's the #9 project in queue for the TDSB among major capital projects. A business case has been submitted to the Ministry, and the land has been transferred to the TDSB.

However, the opportunity for construction is deferred as Mx want this block as a laydown site for the Ontario Line, as per the below:

View attachment 336311

That info comes from: https://www.tdsb.on.ca/Portals/0/docs/Community_Planning_Partnerships/CapitalPriorities2021/9 - West Donlands Final_May21.pdf

From the same document.............we learn that the school will be over capacity within 3 years of opening!

View attachment 336312
The black dashed line in the graph below represents the as-built (proposed) capacity of the new school:

View attachment 336315
They say construction for the new school can't begin until January 2027, but it will still open in September 2027? Nine months to complete the school? I don't think so. Most likely looking at a 2-year+ build, which leads to a September 2029 opening. And that's if the projected construction timeline on the OL is met. I wouldn't be surprised if the school is at full capacity on Day 1.

They say construction for the new school can't begin until January 2027, but it will still open in September 2027? Nine months to complete the school? I don't think so. Most likely looking at a 2-year+ build, which leads to a September 2029 opening. And that's if the projected construction timeline on the OL is met. I wouldn't be surprised if the school is at full capacity on Day 1.
You're probably right that the schedule is too fast. My only thought (caveat: I know nothing about institutional infrastructure) is that a school is unlikely to have a basement or parking, therefore no underpinning or excavation. Also unlikely to be taller than three stories, so maybe it can be done that fast if it is literally shovel-ready in January?

Back