Block 8 West Don Lands | 89.61m | 26s | Dream | COBE Architects

achender

Member Bio
Reaction score
The middle building getting some brick precast installed.

PXL_20210911_204107780.MP.jpg

everydayhim

Member Bio
Reaction score
i believe the brick at the 2-storey base podium is supposed to be a more saturated red, and the middle portion they are cladding was going to relate to the block 3 podium

DavidCapizzano

Member Bio
Reaction score
I remember in one of the DRP presentations for this project one of the architects said that staggering the podium elevations as highlighted in alex's pic above was a very deliberate choice in order to make the view from the distillery more interesting and to help draw people into the complex, and boy was that ever a good call! It's going to be even more of an impressive block once the towers to the north begin construction.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 8.19.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 8.19.11 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 18

jsmith77

Member Bio
Reaction score
Too bad the streetcar loop blocks the flow between Block 8 and the Distillery.
It will be interesting to see how that pans out and I think it will depend greatly on what businesses sit right beside the loop. I know they’ve pulled back in recent years, but I could see a Starbucks doing well there. It would pull visitors from the Distillery as they wrap up their visit, grab a coffee on the way home -as well as draw folks from the new buildings. I’m still curious about the plan to get the loop extended further south.

formerTorontonian

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think the streetcar loop may actually draw people in and make this into more of a spot, encouraging traffic to/from both direction. Might be wrong, but I think the streetcar loop (as it stands at least) actually looks pretty inviting, almost like a public square more than a streetcar loop (the cobbled surface does it for me)

Tunafish13

Member Bio
Reaction score
Isnt there also a reconsideration about the layout of the loop in the future? I remember reading some document related to the portlands that said they would be shifting it to continue south at some point.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Isnt there also a reconsideration about the layout of the loop in the future? I remember reading some document related to the portlands that said they would be shifting it to continue south at some point.
Yes, there is talk of linking the Cherry Street streetcar tracks to those on Queen's Quay East and making a new loop (serving both) on Cherry, south of Commissioners. It is certainly not a done deal (there is lots of UT comment on the QQE Transit thread) and I have seen nothing that would mean the current loop would actually vanish (they may just make another one further south. Not quite fit for the Transit Fantasy thread but ....